Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

need clarification on PATS key copying/cloning

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Default need clarification on PATS key copying/cloning

OK, I only have 1 key, so I know I need to have another PATS key made (I do not want to bypass the system, I know about that). I want to be able to make more copies after I have my second key made.

My question has to do with dealer vs locksmith/Lowes/Home Depot keys and then making copies myself.

I know if I go to the dealer, any key they make will let me make copies once I have 2 keys, but is usually the most expensive route.

With a locksmith/Lowes/Home Depot key they make a clone of the key, so the computer thinks it is the same key and you can't make a 3rd key with it, correct?
Do some locksmiths make keys that I can then make more copies myself?
The following users liked this post:
'95flareside (03-16-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work at a ford dealer and the answer is you can get a key cut anywhere that has a match, but to make it start the truck is has to have a chip inside the key or else all it will do is unlock the doors. but as long as it has a chip in it you can take it to a dealer and they can program the new keys(with chips in them) to your truck so they will work. now lets say you lost the keys to your truck, the dealer has to obtain your key code from ford cut 2 new keys and program both. the truck will not run with only one key programmed. so somewhere out there is another key to your truck. now when they program the new keys the key that is missing is will be forgotten and will no longer work. any questions just ask, im glad to help

Quick Reply: need clarification on PATS key copying/cloning