Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Mystery steering wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery steering wheel noise

I own a 2000 2wd F150. Yesterday while driving I encountered a rubbing noise when turning the steering wheel right or left. I immediately thought it was a power steering problem so I added some fluid to the resevoir which was a little low. The noise continued after I did this so I also checked the belt which was tight. Next I muscled the steering wheel with the ignition keyed ON but with the engine not running, and the noise continued. I researched a little bit on other sites and quite a few other owners seemed to have problems with the tie rods on this model, could this be related?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack up the front end and start grabbing stuff and shaking it. But yes, it could be the tie rod. Look into moog for replacements.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mawk
Jack up the front end and start grabbing stuff and shaking it. But yes, it could be the tie rod. Look into moog for replacements.
How the hell would that do anything? And do research on moot products I hear oem is actually better
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will help him narrow down where the noise is coming from. Whether it's from a worn ball joint, bad bearings, binding axle noise, etc. You gotta start somewhere.

Also Moog has a lifetime warranty (which doesn't mean jack if it's crappy part to begin with, but my experiences have proven otherwise), and you can grease it, which is why the stock parts are mediocre in comparison at best. Lack of lubrication is killer on the ball joints. Supposedly the Moog also has reliefs in both the Socket and joint areas to promote lubrication. Motorcraft is very often just a rebranded TRW product with a price increase because it's labeled OEM.

Quick Reply: Mystery steering wheel noise