Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Is my tire dead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Is my tire dead?

Had a few days off over Christmas, so my truck didn't turn a wheel till this morning. The truck was buried with snow and my mother-in-law was blocked in by me, so she backed my truck out of the drive and got "stuck in the snow". I heard her revving the truck like crazy and smoke bellowing from the tires and I figured she was wheel-spinning but when I went and looked I saw this...

There are grooves in the sidewall but they're not deep. Is the tire toast? I tried airing it up, but my compressor can't seat the bead. The local tire place is moving premises and won't be open till the 10th :/
Attached Thumbnails Is my tire dead?-image-866473039.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

a can of starting fluid or carb cleaner can seat the beads. Have to have a pic of the sidewall to see have bad it is.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah kinda have to redneck it. Spray wd40 or something inside and light a match. Works good on the trails
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
99fordman

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol yes it does you can use just about any spray flammable but watch your eyebrows haha it's lights quick
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can take a rachet strap around the tire to help push the bead out. Before you air up the tire and see if there are any tire shreds in the bottom of the tire (inside).
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worked with tires for only a year but yeah most those tricks will work but if it gets aired up watch for bubbles on the sidewall as it could have weak spots.. and if so stop fast and move.. had a bad experience with tires and dont want to see a fellow forumer getting hurt!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving a tire with a compromised sidewall is risky business, especially if you spend any time on freeways. You could blow out. It might not even pass inspection. Can you swap it for the spare? I would avoid going 70mph until I had a new tire on there.

+1 on the starting fluid method, but careful with that stuff... the chemicals are not good for the rubber and the explosion is not good for your face.

Why did burning out on a snowy driveway break your bead anyway? Was it flat to begin with?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Wyoming F-150 Owner

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, judging by the way that sidewall looks, you need to get it off the truck and to a tire shop. Have them dismount it and inspect the inner liner. You need to make sure it's not damaged. The inner liner is in essence the "tube" on a radial tubeless tire. If it's damaged, the tire is toast. If it's damaged and you try to ether it, there's real potential that thing will blow the carcass on you due to the sidewall being weak.

Just my .02. BTW, I own a tire shop. I'm not telling you all this from a salesperson point of view. I'm telling you this from a safety point of view.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys!

I got the spare on there now, and after having a closer look at it the back-side side-wall is done... What a crappy start to the year! I just spent $1100 on a set of tires on my wife's Cherokee ten days ago and was smug that mine were lasting good... Ah well...

Think I may just aim for a set of 33s after a couple of paydays...

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Is my tire dead?