Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

My Tach & Tach Adapter Install with Pics-2003 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Tach & Tach Adapter Install with Pics-2003 4.6

I couldn't find an install using a tach adapter so maybe this will help someone else. I bought Auto Meter tach adapter pn#9117. The tach is a equus tach I bought at oreillys.
First I connected the adapter under the hood.

I cut the wire going to #34 on the harness. Green arrow is the red wire coming from tach adapter. Blue arrow is the red/green stripe wire coming from tach adapter connected onto the other end of the #34 wire. Black ground wire connects to one of the ground bolts on the firewall. The gray wire goes to the green wire from tach.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Next was the tach connections.
I used the add a fuse and connected the red wire from the tach to the fuse with the green arrow.
I connected the ground(black) wire right up under the fuse box.
The white wire was spliced into the headlight switch connector. (I may change this wire b/c my tach light won't dim with the other lights.) I ran the green wire through a large grommet on the drivers side firewall and connected to the gray wire from the adapter.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts
Default My Tach & Tach Adapter Install with Pics-2003 4.6

Why
Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cuz he fking wanted to
Old 11-18-2015, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Holicori
Cuz he fking wanted to
Lol!! Thanks for that reply Holicori.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
Why
Well genius, the first reason is what I stated in my first post. Maybe it would help someone out that is wanting to add one.
Second reason, my truck didn't have a factory tach & I don't want to replace clusters or fiddle with the odometer tach.
Third reason, I am going to a different gear ratio front and back. I wanted to see the difference in rpm between the two. Hopefully this answers why.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wtnranger
Well genius, the first reason is what I stated in my first post. Maybe it would help someone out that is wanting to add one. Second reason, my truck didn't have a factory tach & I don't want to replace clusters or fiddle with the odometer tach. Third reason, I am going to a different gear ratio front and back. I wanted to see the difference in rpm between the two. Hopefully this answers why.
Just curious how can you run different gears front and back? Or am I reading that wrong? Just wondering how that works?

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 AM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by boog2169
Just curious how can you run different gears front and back? Or am I reading that wrong? Just wondering how that works?
He is changing his gears in the front and rear.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wtnranger
Lol!! Thanks for that reply Holicori.
No problem. There's quite a few forum elitist that act like they are better than others here. It annoys me. You have people that make nice write ups and pictures to help others (like you did) and then you get some **** come on and the only thing he has to say is negative.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Holicori
No problem. There's quite a few forum elitist that act like they are better than others here. It annoys me. You have people that make nice write ups and pictures to help others (like you did) and then you get some **** come on and the only thing he has to say is negative.
Those people your calling "****s" are members that have been part of or community for quite some time now, and are regulars when it comes to solving issues, he asked a simple "why" because he wanted to know why OP went through all the trouble he didn't say anything negative. And got a smart response.

Quick Reply: My Tach & Tach Adapter Install with Pics-2003 4.6