Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

My plans...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Too Loud? Too Bad!

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default My plans...

Seeing as these are only plans and not something I am doing or almost in the process of doing, I didn't see how it warranted a build thread... so hopefully this is ok. But I wanted to make a list of what I want to do to the truck, either maintenance or modification, and see what you guys thought. Any suggestions, opinions, comments, questions, anything at all are welcome and appreciated. A lot of you are the veterans with this stuff. I'm merely a newcomer. So I definitely welcome input.

I'll list the modifications and whatnot I've done so far as well; at least, all that I can think of. The following lists will most likely be in absolutely NO kind of order whatsoever, going from exterior to interior to audio to interior, etc... bear with me.

Done so far:

Upgraded headunit, door speakers, installed subs and amp
New headlights and taillights
Under-the-bumper LED bar (needs to be adjusted or removed; cannot open tailgate fully as is)
Switchback LED front blinkers
LED license plate and reverse
"Eyelids" painted on (needs two more coats, including a black coat to prevent light from shining through)
Painted grille black in preparation for raptor-style overlay
Hell-a back window decals
22" rims with 305/45/22 tires
Raptor-style amber bolt LEDs behind grille
LED 3rd brake/cargo lights
K&N CAI
Bigger battery (Duralast Gold)
Handy-dandy Autozone clear license plate covers (gotta protect the vanities)
Flushed trans

Alright... Have to poop... will edit post with the "want to do"s after I'm done.

------

The sacrifice has been completed. On with the list.

Want to do:

Flush power steering, radiator, etc (unsure of what my grandfather did while he had it, so it's a preventative measure if nothing else)
Spot lights behind grille (debating on this due to desire to install raptor style overlay... unsure how that would work with the both of them)
Install roughly $1800 worth of emergency lighting purchased last year
Crank t-bars to safe maximum to remove rubbing in front
Possibly get bigger tires
Install Recon LED bars on steps (clicky)
New taillights (clicky)
Change all plugs and inspect coils
Backup camera
Install Recon projector reverse lights (clicky)
Install throttle body spacer
Clean/inspect TB/EGR/Evaporator
Upgrade interior completely to LEDs (including dash, air controls, etc)
Repaint truck (high amount of scratches of varying lengths and intensities, a few minor rust spots, weather channels on roof are SHOT, etc)
Upgrade to e-fans
Investigate into the possibility of a manual trans conversion
Remove back seat entirely (practically unusable given my seat position, and I don't have anything back there but my subs really)
Build custom box for four 12" Kicker L7s
Paint various parts of the interior
Paint gray/silver part of exterior paint (bottom of the two tone) black, or rhino-line it
Recon smoked cab lights (clicky)
New bed liner
Programmer (advice? I don't tow hardly ever but want to be able to if the situation should arise, looking for better MPGs without killing power, but an increase in power would be nice... a good balance is what I'm looking for, I suppose)
TV tuner for HU
Retrofit projectors into headlights w/ 6k HIDs & halos (undecided on white or amber)
New hood (purely for looks... undecided as to which kind, opinions are welcome)
Inspect basically everything (hoses, wires, suspension components, etc.)
Amplify door speakers
Puddle lights
New mirrors w/ LED blinkers (or install some kind of blinker in existing mirrors)
Install higher-amp alternator sitting in closet
Big 3 upgrade
Zip tie mod
Fog light with parking lights mod
Disable low beam flash w/ door lock
Look into LED bar-type things for fogs?
3.73 gears

That's all I can think of for now. Will add/edit as appropriate.

Last edited by sumidor063; 05-05-2013 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MsLizVt (04-29-2021)
Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Too Loud? Too Bad!

Updated.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For the tuner I would highly recommend a sct tuner, they are awesome and talk to Franchi if you have any questions about them.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Too Loud? Too Bad!

Benefits of an SCT over an Edge, for example? I'm not familiar with all the options and those two are the only names I can recall atm.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:34 AM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Looks like a good list. Some are great ideas, others I wouldn't waste time and/or money on but it's your truck, do what you want.

Make sure to post pictures. I always enjoy that and would like to see the emergency lights or know more about them for the cost. Also, as a suggestion, being 100% on maintenance rates higher than mods as failure to keep up could leave you on the side of the road.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Too Loud? Too Bad!

Oh definitely. That said... suggestions for what I should do? Truck's right around 79k. It's a 2001 5.4. I honestly have no idea what my grandfather or the owner before him may have done to it. So far, all I've done are the necessary oil changes and a trans flush. The few things I DO know I want to do (regardless of necessity) are listed above. Other ideas?

And if I can find the email for the lighting, I will post it in a second... My grandfather (James C. Culberson Jr... Requiescat in Pace) is a charter member (life member) and founding member of the Sergeantsville Volunteer Fire Company in Sergeantsville, NJ. His badge number is #1. After his wife died, and his health started to decline, his truck became his joy. Now, while many (my girlfriend included) will argue that what I've done to the truck has essentially taken that away from him, I disagree. In my opinion, no matter what I do will not change the fact that this truck belonged to my grandfather, and it is because it will always be his truck that I bought the emergency lighting. He had a small setup already in the truck; two blues in the grille, and strobes in the front and back. Six total. But for him, I wanted to go big. I saved up and with a buddy of mine (now a Captain for a fire company in Glen Gardner, NJ), we bought a bunch of things and this spring he's going to install it for me. I have absolutely no practical use for them whatsoever as I am not a volunteer or paid firefighter or EMT... just... idk. It feels right.

Sorry for the rant... I just got really into it. I always do with my grandfather. Actually had to hold back the tears while writing. lol Gimme a minute and I'll find the email.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:55 AM
Too Loud? Too Bad!

See post 11

Last edited by bobkyle2; 05-13-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Too Loud? Too Bad!

Anyone else have any input, perhaps?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Too Loud? Too Bad!

Nobody loves me lol
Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'm not sure if I have seen any pictures of your truck. What kind of light setup goes for 1800?

Quick Reply: My plans...