Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Motor Mount replacement in truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Motor Mount replacement in truck?

Any tips replacing motor mounts on my 1999 F150 4x4 5.4? Does not look like the engine will raise enough to do them with the engine in the truck? Or would I also need to remove the trans mount to get it to move enough to replace them?
Just guessing here as I have not had to work on anything this new on the mounts. Now if it were a 70's or 80's yes it was easy but this one not so easy. But does look like the drives side the dipstick will have to be removed to even get it out ?
Pete
Old 06-07-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have not seen any posts of people replacing them.

The trans mount is another story. I had to do mine with less than 90,000 miles on the clock.

Someone here should have an answer for you.
The following users liked this post:
petef-150 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Release both mounts from the frame. If you can remove the bolts holding the mount to the engine, go ahead and remove the bolts also. Now use a floor jack or some kind of jack with a small 2x4 or similar board and place it directly under the pan. Don't forget to remove the battery cable.

Now slowly jack the engine up a small amount until you can pull the one mount out you want to remove. This is the easiest way I know how to do it as a field fix. If I was in a garage, I'd use a hyd. jack or spinner stand and raise it that way. As long as you get it up high enough to clear the mount, without damaging anything on top, you can replace it.

Be careful you don't drop the damn thing on your hand while removing or reinstalling the new mount. Putting a block of wood to support the engine is a great idea. Any way you can keep the thing from slipping is a plus. Good luck.

Last edited by akdoggie; 06-07-2016 at 08:56 PM.
petef-150 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:16 PM

Thanks guys, so far doing it this way the drivers side is being a bad word.. Most of the issue is the dip stick tube. But did get it out today, and hope to get them both tightened up tomorrow.
Again Thanks and also using 2 jacks. That way if one fails there's a safety there also.
Pete
Old 06-08-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Just like ak said, use the jack to help lift up the eninge and take tension off the bushings. If I recall they are 15mm bolts on each mount. You may need to use a small hoist or strap to tilt the enginge to one side if you cant lift it enough. I replaced mine while in the truck as well. I def suggest putting the 3 bolts into the block before using the bolt to the mount. Nearly impossible to do with the headers and various other things in the way
petef-150 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 11:08 PM

After getting the Pass side bolted down. The Drivers side was easy. But when both sides were not bolted down, it was bad...
Step son put my engine in the truck without the mounts.. Then came to me telling me. They were not going in, and was about to pull the engine back out. I told him they had to go in with the engine in the bay. And got under there and did it my self.
Only been a year getting the engine in this truck. Done lots of engine swaps over the years. But this was my first and last Ford engine like this. Way to much stuff in the way to get my brain wrapped around. Even with pics of everything as we were taking it out. Still having isssues. Also my Step son got in a rush and would not give me time to package and bolt all the bolts. And you guessed some how on a clean shop floor, were short 3 trans bolts and a few others. But got all that taken care of today.
I hope to have it on the road by the end of next week. He's working 14 hrs per day this week. And 12 tomorrow so don't think much will get done tomorrow. I will try to get what I can done. But my back will not let me do most of this stuff these days. Man it sucks to have back and heart issues when it comes to this type of work.
I have always enjoyed mechanic work. Rebuilt a few engines, Painted a few trucks.Used to work on boat motors and even Yacht's. But now days its a struggle too read about it. HAHA
Next project will a a 1990's Bronco and put a 4BT cummins in it. Now that I can wrap my mind around. Now to find the body to do the grunt work.
Thanks guys for the help.
Pete
Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Now go enjoy a cold one.

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 transmission mount.

Originally Posted by grizzstang
I have not seen any posts of people replacing them.

The trans mount is another story. I had to do mine with less than 90,000 miles on the clock.

Someone here should have an answer for you.
Hi, you mentioned replacing the transmission mount, how much of a job was that. I'm in the process of replacing the mount. Just seeing if there are easier methods! Thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 5,561 Likes on 4,637 Posts

There's nothing to it, why do you think it's hard ? Just follow the Ford change out procedure, unbolt the crossover, change the mount, install the crossover. Yea, these guys are talking MM's mainly, the TM's are no problem.

Last edited by Jbrew; 05-14-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
There's nothing to it, why do you think it's hard ? Just follow the Ford change out procedure, unbolt the crossover, change the mount, install the crossover. Yea, these guys are talking MM's mainly, the TM's are no problem. Like grizzstang mentions, the TM's don't last very long. I'll be doing #3 shortly.
I get that it's not hard but everything is so rusted under the truck that anything simple becomes a task. Just thought maybe there'd be a quicker method

Quick Reply: Motor Mount replacement in truck?