Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Lift Kit Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit Brake problems

Recently i installed a 6" fabtech lift on my 2002 King Ranch Crew Cab pickup. I finished it off with a set of 35's and it looks beautiful. Only problem is that my abs kicks on when i slow down only when im at about 3-4 mph. My abs light isnt on and doesnt come on. The truck is recently alligned and both Abs modules on either side are istalled properly. Any ideas why this might occur? I've heard this is a common problem yet no one seems to know.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

One thing that pops into mind is that the ABS is working properly as it should, but for a detected false condition.

Are the tires aired up to the same pressure?
Are the tires the same measured height?
Is the truck loaded evenly side-to-side?

Just was thinking that the 35s have a lot of sidewall to flex, which might make the ABS think it is seeing wheel-spin due to the instantaneous difference in actual tire height??
Old 09-14-2007, 05:55 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like a tone ring got bumped. It may not trigger a light because the ABS thinks that wheel is having a problem so its kicking in. Need to take it to Ford so they can attach the Ford scan tool and find out which sensor is setting it off.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:57 PM

What is a tone ring??? I have an OBDII scanner that i can hook up to my truck but it doesnt bring up any codes. Woud Ford have a better scanner that could pick up something that mine does not?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:26 AM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

I think the tone ring is in the differential, also known as the exciter ring.

Not sure about your 'generation' F150 - mine has a separate RABS computer check that involves counting the blinking anti-lock light.

On a side note, my Chilton's reference finally let me down - tells all you need to know about the blinky light codes, except how to initiate the test.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:04 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wde3477
I think the tone ring is in the differential, also known as the exciter ring.

Not sure about your 'generation' F150 - mine has a separate RABS computer check that involves counting the blinking anti-lock light.

On a side note, my Chilton's reference finally let me down - tells all you need to know about the blinky light codes, except how to initiate the test.
On the rear yes the tone ring is in the diff. On the front its on the back of the rotors or hub. It looks like a gear. The senor reads the top and bottom of the "teeth" to tell how fast a vehicle is moving and if one wheel is slower than the others. Make sure all the tires are the same size. Make sure the tires have the same amount of air in them.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM

hmmmm, i'll try taking out the abs sensor in radius arm to clean it again and then see if that effects anything. I'm not to familiar where this sensor is on the back of the hub or rotar on the front though...do you know of any diagrams i could look at?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:34 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

the sensor for the tone ring will be quite apparent. It will be the only sensor behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Brake problems