Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

lets talk mufflers..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question lets talk mufflers..

got 3 mufflers I'm looking into
1) borla XR-1 oval 3" in/out 12" case length
2) borla XR-1 round 3" in/out 15" case length
3) flowmaster super 10 3" in/out 6" case length

few questions.. how does a single chamber muffler stack up against a straight through design? since the shorter the case means louder wouldn't that mean the super 10 would be loudest? what about the difference between a 12" oval muffler vs 15" round?
I'm going after a DEEP/LOUD rumble at idle and while driving, idc about drone. also, which one would preform better? and I'm not messing with cats
Old 02-09-2015, 06:04 PM

If you want loud straight pipe it or get a blow through muffler like a magnapack. I'm running my 4.6 straight piped and i have no drone i love it, when i have the money im going to 45 it out before the tire
Old 02-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Cant straight pipe, need a muffler to pass vehicle inspection where i live.. The borla mufflers are straight through, flowmaster is single chamber
Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Junkyard Crusader

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Treycann10
got 3 mufflers I'm looking into
1) borla XR-1 oval 3" in/out 12" case length
2) borla XR-1 round 3" in/out 15" case length
3) flowmaster super 10 3" in/out 6" case length

few questions.. how does a single chamber muffler stack up against a straight through design? since the shorter the case means louder wouldn't that mean the super 10 would be loudest? what about the difference between a 12" oval muffler vs 15" round?
I'm going after a DEEP/LOUD rumble at idle and while driving, idc about drone. also, which one would preform better? and I'm not messing with cats
If you have stock headers, cats and y-pipe, the muffler you put wont change performance by any noticable margin. With that being said straight through designs flow better than chambered in case you ever do a full custom exhaust. On my truck (2003 w/4.6) i have a super 10, single chamber, with offset inlet outlet. I really didnt care about performance as it would take a lot more than that to get a 4.6 pushing any decent power. My main concern was sound and the super 10 delivered. I simply chopped off stock piping, clamped on the super 10 and dumped it under the rear passenger seat. (Im in Texas so idk of thats legal where you are) having it dumped to the ground (somehow) gives it a real deep sound that in my opinion sounds great, especially at like <2500 rpm which is really only where i have the truck. Drone is pretty noticable due to it exiting under the cab but either im going deaf or just getting used to it so it doesnt bother me. As for the others i cant say, and im sure theyre nice, but i love my super 10.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:33 PM

Im wantimg mainly sound. But i dont want to hurt performance, but im not looking to really gain either. Im just wondering how the sound would be for a 6" single chamber muffler vs a 12 or 15" straight thru muffler..
Old 02-09-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't honestly believe anyone would be debating between Borla and Flowmaster. Borla is a very nice expensive good sounding long lasting quality piece. Flowmasters are cheap, obnoxiously loud without flowing any better, and rust out within a few years. If you really are debating between those 2 brands, and you can afford the Borla, then absolutely get it. If you want something in between, Magnaflow makes a good quality straight-through muffler for substantially less than Borla. If it was my truck, I would get an 18" Magnaflow straight-through muffler in the same diameter as the stock pipe, weld it in, and call it a day.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 PM

I threw a super 44 on mine a while ago but its not cuttin it. I was expecting alot louder, however i do like the sound, i just want it amplified basically. And the main reason im debating is because price, 70 compared to 150. But i have no problem buying the xr1 if it will end up being louder than the 44 or 10

Trending Topics

Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you still have the stock muffler, you could just ram a piece of stock piping through it and boom, instant straight pipe with a "muffler"
Old 02-09-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Look it up on Youtube. What size engine do you have? Here is my 4.6L with a flowmaster 10 series.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 PM
I am the God of hellfire

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Dont get flowmasters. As already stated above they are cheap, obnoxious, mufflers that WILL rust out in a couple years.

Borla, Magnaflow, Dynomax are all straight through mufflers made from stainless steel, I would be looking at those.

Im running a Dynomax Ultraflo SS muffler on my truck, has a nice deep throaty sound and its not overly loud.

Quick Reply: lets talk mufflers..