Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking coolant

Noticed that my truck was steaming/smoking the other day and i checked and it just looked like coolant had sprayed on the top of the engine and I figured it just overheated and the pressure release system had done it's job. So i topped off the reservoir and then drove 400 miles too the beach. Checked the reservoir and now it's bone dry. Thankfully we made it here without overheating. Filled it back up and I realized that anytime i rev the engine coolant sprays from what seems to be the front left fuel injector. I have a 5.4, do y'all think I can make it back to Atlanta without paying for repairs here? And just check the coolant every hour or so to avoid overheating?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Okie.

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lariat2001
Noticed that my truck was steaming/smoking the other day and i checked and it just looked like coolant had sprayed on the top of the engine and I figured it just overheated and the pressure release system had done it's job. So i topped off the reservoir and then drove 400 miles too the beach. Checked the reservoir and now it's bone dry. Thankfully we made it here without overheating. Filled it back up and I realized that anytime i rev the engine coolant sprays from what seems to be the front left fuel injector. I have a 5.4, do y'all think I can make it back to Atlanta without paying for repairs here? And just check the coolant every hour or so to avoid overheating?
If coolant is spraying from around a injector your intake is trash and your possibly pumping coolant into your engine causing watery oil and rusting valves and all intake components. If it was me id park it where it sits and call a towtruck to prevent even costlier repairs.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts

Are you sure its coolant spraying from the injector and not fuel? Also, are you sure the spray is coming from the injector? If it is in fact the injector, its probably fuel and you need new o-rings for the injector. If its not the injector, the coolant crossover pipe runs across the engine just behind the alternator and could be leaking at the gasket. Or maybe a pin hole in one of the coolant hoses. You just need to narrow it down.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Welder7018

If coolant is spraying from around a injector your intake is trash and your possibly pumping coolant into your engine causing watery oil and rusting valves and all intake components. If it was me id park it where it sits and call a towtruck to prevent even costlier repairs.
That's absolutely right. You'd also have a billowing cloud of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant