Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Leaf Spring Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leaf Spring Help

Hey guys I notice a while back my truck isn't sitting level at the back and I cant see anything wrong underneath so I assume its the leafs. A guy at work said just put an add a leaf(s). Will this level it up or still just make one side higher than the other? How hard is it to install them? Also whats the avg. price point? Not looking to break the bank on a 17year old truck. I also wouldn't mind a bit more pay load it sags pretty bad with my skidoo in the back and its only 500lbs or so.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 PM

Received 186 Likes on 180 Posts

Post a pic of your leaf springs. If they aren't kinda flat on the rebound or overload bar (the short one on the bottom that's flat) then I wouldn't replace. Doing an AAL will raise your truck the thickness of the spring, so I think like 1/4" or so?

Just food for thought, you could go and get your leaf springs re-arched and call it a day.

When I upgraded my leaf springs I bought F-250 LD springs from the scrap yard for about 75 bucks, then I dropped them off at a shop for a guy to put an AAL in (they don't look hard to do, at the time I was really busy so I didn't want to deal with it), and they charged me 100 bucks. I brought just the springs to them so they didn't have to uninstall / reinstall. It took about 2.5 hours all said and done, that's taking off both sets of springs and putting one set on, so figure a pro could do it in 1.5 hours to 2 hours so at 90/hour that's 135 - 180 on top of the 100 if you want them to install them.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

I put in a 2" AAL a couple yrs ago and it added(wait for it) 2". It's a pretty easy job that can be accomplished with hand tools but air tools make everything easier. It allows me to tow a pretty large travel trailer at an almost level stance. It was about $100 for the leafs from 4wheelparts.com.
Attached Thumbnails Leaf Spring Help-image-655585717.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by ToTheBar
Hey guys I notice a while back my truck isn't sitting level at the back and I cant see anything wrong underneath so I assume its the leafs. A guy at work said just put an add a leaf(s). Will this level it up or still just make one side higher than the other? How hard is it to install them? Also whats the avg. price point? Not looking to break the bank on a 17year old truck. I also wouldn't mind a bit more pay load it sags pretty bad with my skidoo in the back and its only 500lbs or so.
A new set of 7700 4/1 leafs are relatively cheap. I have seen them for around $250 shipped for a set new. No a AAL will no level the rear back out. More than likely your truck is suffering from spring wrap and has fatigued the main leafs.

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Help