Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Intermittent AC

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 03:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Intermittent AC

I remember I started troubleshooting this last fall but then winter arrived and it fell off my list. My AC works perfectly for maybe 10-15 minutes and then stops working. The routine repeats itself after the car has been parked for a bit. From I remember the refrigerant levels were good.

There are no fault codes. Could this be a shimming issue on the AC compressor?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:39 PM

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,707 Posts

Stops working means what? Does not cool? Compressor does not come on? Rapid cycling compressor? Does not turn on? Did you have it evacuated and correctly charged?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:38 PM

Received 941 Likes on 744 Posts

Check the clutch gap/ Probably excessive.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Stops working means what? Does not cool? Compressor does not come on? Rapid cycling compressor? Does not turn on? Did you have it evacuated and correctly charged?
It cools really well and then it just stops cooling. I don't hear the compressor cycling.

I haven't had it evacuated it charged. One of those cheap refill kits indicated it was fully charged already.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ovlov760
It cools really well and then it just stops cooling. I don't hear the compressor cycling.

I haven't had it evacuated it charged. One of those cheap refill kits indicated it was fully charged already.
Check it correctly,not with one of those.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:27 PM

If the charge was incorrect, it wouldn't work properly for that first 10-15 minutes. Leave the flipping charge alone unless the data points that direction (it doesn't).

Go check your clutch gap, that's been a VERY common reason for your EXACT complaint. So common, I included it in the HVAC FAQs I wrote more than a decade ago for sister site FTE. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...xpedition.html

Perform a shimectomy if the gap is too large.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89
If the charge was incorrect, it wouldn't work properly for that first 10-15 minutes. Leave the flipping charge alone unless the data points that direction (it doesn't).

Go check your clutch gap, that's been a VERY common reason for your EXACT complaint. So common, I included it in the HVAC FAQs I wrote more than a decade ago for sister site FTE. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...xpedition.html

Perform a shimectomy if the gap is too large.
Why does a system work well in the cool morning then not in the hot afternoon? Low on gas....while this may not be the cause of his problem, using what he did to check his pressure is not valid, I think you know that though. He needs to verify his system is correctly charged. Have a good one!
Old 04-08-2020, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Why does a system work well in the cool morning then not in the hot afternoon?
Not his reported symptoms.
Low on gas....while this may not be the cause of his problem,
If it were "low on gas", it would generally work okay in mild conditions but fail to cool well under harsher conditions BUT WITH THE COMPRESSOR STILL ENGAGED. It would not go to a "no clutch engagement" symptom after 10-15 minutes as described.
using what he did to check his pressure is not valid, I think you know that though. He needs to verify his system is correctly charged.
It's valid enough to determine that the system is not empty and that there is sufficient refrigerant in the system to "make" the low pressure switch enabling the clutch.

FOLLOW THE DATA. ...and go read the FAQs I linked to, this is covered all there.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89
Not his reported symptoms.

If it were "low on gas", it would generally work okay in mild conditions but fail to cool well under harsher conditions BUT WITH THE COMPRESSOR STILL ENGAGED. It would not go to a "no clutch engagement" symptom after 10-15 minutes as described.
It's valid enough to determine that the system is not empty and that there is sufficient refrigerant in the system to "make" the low pressure switch enabling the clutch.

FOLLOW THE DATA. ...and go read the FAQs I linked to, this is covered all there.

I know its not his symptoms, I was addressing your comment. But he still needs to know that the system is correctly charge to ensure correct operation of the compressor. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:23 PM

The shimectomy appears to have worked. The AC stayed on for thirty minutes without an issue. That's a first since I've owned it.

The air gap exceeded .030. I took out the only shim that was present and now the gap measures around .019.

Now that I know the AC can work normally I probably should get it evacuated and recharged.

That was really the last thing on this truck that didn't work right. Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Intermittent AC