Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Idle changed after maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle changed after maintenance

Hi everybody. Forgive me if I don't make sense, I'm a fledgling home mechanic/enthusiast; I'll try to be extremely thorough. If I use the wrong terminology or phrasing let me know! I'm here to learn. So here goes:

A friend and I replaced the serpentine belt on my 1997 f150 (4.6L V8) because I discovered a split running the whole length of the belt and figured that didn't seem like a great thing! I've owned the truck now for just a couple weeks. I previously owned a 2000 expedition (5.4L) and loved it but needed a "truck" truck. Already I know some things are different between the two engine-wise, so I'm still having an adjustment period getting used to the feel.
So the thing I'm wondering about is that prior to changing the belt I would generally notice the truck idling around 1000rpm or better in park, 800rpm or better in gear, which seemed high? Maybe not, new truck, still learning. However, after changing the belt it seems like about 750rpm in park and 550-600rpm in gear. I did have a code register after the work, but there was a loose hose which I put back in place (removed air intake for more working room) and now it's running really smooth, just lower rpm at idle. Any reason or explanation for this?? Thanks so much in advance for any helping replies! Looking forward to being part of the community!
Old 10-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 5,554 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Warm idle should 730 RPM and never flinch. Between 700-750 is good according to Ford. But when everything is right, they idle about right in middle o that 725/730.

800 and 1000 is far out of spec and is usually caused by an unmetered air leak.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:23 PM

Thanks so much for the response! Again sorry if this is a stupid question, but could the worn belt have had anything to do with the high idle? As we speak I'm sitting in the truck at it's right where you said it should be... It seems to have been evening out over the last couple days.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 5,554 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Nah, warm idle in park is PCM controlled, you had a leak in the air box assembly connections most likley. PCM is the executive, but unmetered leaks and IAC can deflect it. Load can drop it lower temporarily if you loose the AC settings. This is why when you reset the PCM, you do so with the AC on or in a defrost mode. That's not even required as the adaptive will eventually catch up...with time.

In short, - either the way it was connected to the throttle body (a little off) or the assembly was leaking elsewhere and you fixed it...accidentally lol.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 6,479 Likes on 4,615 Posts

Did you unhook the battery? Might have been just re-learning.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Nah, warm idle in park is PCM controlled, you had a leak in the air box assembly connections most likley. PCM is the executive, but unmetered leaks and IAC can deflect it. Load can drop it lower temporarily if you loose the AC settings. This is why when you reset the PCM, you do so with the AC on or in a defrost mode. That's not even required as the adaptive will eventually catch up...with time.

In short, - either the way it was connected to the throttle body (a little off) or the assembly was leaking elsewhere and you fixed it...accidentally lol.
Thank you so much man! And I can bet you anything I will probably end up doing a lot of stuff by accident, LOL. Thanks again for the response... That's really thorough and helpful. Look out for me on here, I will more than likely have questions as time goes on!
Old 10-09-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by white89gt
Did you unhook the battery? Might have been just re-learning.
I actually did unhook the battery cable to replace the terminal, but I didn't have any issues until a couple days later when we replaced the serpentine belt so I didn't connect those two events... But good to know that's something to be aware of, too! Thank you!!
Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 6,479 Likes on 4,615 Posts

My Expedition idles funny for a bit after the battery has been hooked back up. So does my 89 Mustang. I know for a fact the old EEC-IV's had a relearn process. I am assuming the OBD-II ECU's do as well.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by white89gt
My Expedition idles funny for a bit after the battery has been hooked back up. So does my 89 Mustang. I know for a fact the old EEC-IV's had a relearn process. I am assuming the OBD-II ECU's do as well.
Ok good to know! Like I said all seems well as far as everything running nicely now. CEL is still on so I assume I need to clear it. Awesome info, thanks to everybody!