Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Help wiring electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Trigger Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wiring electric fans

I have dual electric fans that I wired to a toggle switch in the cabin. I dont want to have to remember to turn on and off that toggle switch so that my truck doesnt overheat or the battery doesnt die. So I will be re-wiring it so that I dont have to worry about flipping the toggle switch.

I am planning on taking the positive wires from the fans and tapping those into a wire in the engine compartment that only gets power when the engine is on. Anyone have any ideas as to what wire I can tap into?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Just wire them in properly with a thermostat so they come on when they need too. Have them running all the time can be bad. Your engine needs a certain running temperature, and having it drop below that isn't good for anything. So just look up how to wire them in properly and be done with it.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Trigger Mike

Originally Posted by TLB4
Just wire them in properly with a thermostat so they come on when they need too. Have them running all the time can be bad. Your engine needs a certain running temperature, and having it drop below that isn't good for anything. So just look up how to wire them in properly and be done with it.
Yeah I understand that the right way would be to wire them to a temperature probe so that they come on and off. What I dont understand is that when the stock mechanical fan was installed, that was turning all the time with the engine and pulley. So if that pulls air through all the time then why cant my electric fans pull air through all the time?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

It doesn't. The fan has a clutch on it that engages when it has to come on. When you're on the highway cruising it disengages. And only reengages when the temperature gets too hot.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Are you using a controller to turn the fans on and off or are you having them running constantly? You'd be best to get a DC controller and wire it that way.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by otto457
Are you using a controller to turn the fans on and off or are you having them running constantly? You'd be best to get a DC controller and wire it that way.
NO!!! DC is total crap now, I ordered one and never got it, he never replied to emails and just refunded me. Look up madenterprise, I should get mine tomorrow, excellent customer service
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

^ I ordered one earlier this year and got it within a couple weeks. The controller is top notch after seeing other controllers. Guess you just had a bad experience.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM
All Wooded Out

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000MTZ
NO!!! DC is total crap now, I ordered one and never got it, he never replied to emails and just refunded me. Look up madenterprise, I should get mine tomorrow, excellent customer service
I remember us talking about those. Glad I wandered into this thread.

What are you doing for an alternative now?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 AM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

its kinda 50/50 if you get one or not with DC, Ive heard tons of bad reviews just like me and some good reviews too, either way id never order from him again.

I ordered a new controller from madenterprise, not only did the wiring on it sound better but he treats his customers like personal friends. I have a page of emails just from him, while i have about 4 unanswered ones to DC
Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 AM
Trigger Mike

Originally Posted by TLB4
Also, Ive had this setup for about a month now and when I have the fans running all the time I dont have any issues at all. The truck gets to normal operating temperature and stays there..

Quick Reply: Help wiring electric fans