Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Help Diagnosing Steering Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Diagnosing Steering Problem...

Hello All,

So I went mudding yesterday and got my truck nice and stuck in the mud. After finally getting myself pulled out, my truck now shakes rather vigorously when exceeding speeds of ~35mph coming from the front end. I believe I snapped something in my steering. The front tires were deep in a rut and I couldn't move them left or right. While being pulled out, I think that I tried to turn the wheel too hard and snapped something, because I did hear a thunk shortly after trying to turn the wheels. Any ideas what might be wrong, specifically? Thanks in advance.

Jake
Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm betting you still have mud in the wheels throwing them out of balance. Did you clean ALL the mud out? I live in Canada and this happens a lot with snow/ice/salt. Losing a 1 oz. wheel weight will cause vibration. Imagine what a lb or 2 of mud can do!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did u go under and look? Wash it all down so u can see joints, bushings but it sounds like a ball joint tho
Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by udderbrudder
I'm betting you still have mud in the wheels throwing them out of balance. Did you clean ALL the mud out? I live in Canada and this happens a lot with snow/ice/salt. Losing a 1 oz. wheel weight will cause vibration. Imagine what a lb or 2 of mud can do!

I can only hope that's the issue. It does seem as though the tires are out of balance. The shaking is similar to a flat tire or bad bearings. I got it stuck on Wednesday and had to leave it overnight, and things dried up a lot in the hot sun, and I've only driven it about two miles home since then. After work today I'll give it a thorough wash down and see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by kgintner1
Did u go under and look? Wash it all down so u can see joints, bushings but it sounds like a ball joint tho

I'll get back to y'all on the mud after work in a few hours, but how much money do you think I'm looking at, assuming I have to get a ball joint replaced?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 AM

So I cleaned off all the mud, and it seemed to make a difference, but it still drives really rough at around 40mph. Is it possible that I just threw the alignment off? Also, it's making a whining sound while the truck is running. I don't think it's the transmission, but maybe something wrong with the power steering?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the power steering box. That might be your sound since you were trying to force the tires. Something may have given.. IF that box is not mounted on there properly still that'll give you a shake for sure..
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Listen closely to all the accessories on the engine to pinpoint the noise. I use a stethoscope but a long 3/8 extension does work. CAREFULLY position it against each accessory while putting your ear to the other end and listen. Idler pulleys are a common failure. You can also remove the belt and rotate the pulleys by hand with engine off. Any roughness in any pulley indicates a bad bearing. This won't work with the power steering pump. You can check it by idling the engine and working the steering wheel L to R. I f the same noise is more pronounced-it'slikely a pump problem. Ford P/S pumps don't like being run low on fluid-I'd check that, too.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

take the wheels off and pressure wash the roters and all the steering components. most likely just the balance is off that mud gets everywhere
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont pressure wash the hubs tho water wil get in and ruin ur wheel bearing

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Steering Problem...