Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

heater coil replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater coil replacement

does anybody know where I can find some good step by step instructions and good pictures to replace my heater coil ?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

So this one is pretty good at listing steps in video form.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:26 PM

I did mine about 18 months ago and got a bad unit and have to do it again. My advice would be to go to youtube and watch some videos and stay away from the ones that tell you how to do the job in under 30 minutes ( im exaggerating but you get the idea ). Also, I found it easier to take the passenger side of the split bench out after I had most of the dash apart, then I dropped the stearing column to get more room to move the dash. I didnt take mine completely out, just moved it enough to be able to get to the heater core box. If you have an automatic, be careful about the gear position indicator mechanism when taking things apart. Also, dont forget to disconnect the battery before starting to work.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cyborg65
I did mine about 18 months ago and got a bad unit and have to do it again. My advice would be to go to youtube and watch some videos and stay away from the ones that tell you how to do the job in under 30 minutes ( im exaggerating but you get the idea ). Also, I found it easier to take the passenger side of the split bench out after I had most of the dash apart, then I dropped the stearing column to get more room to move the dash. I didnt take mine completely out, just moved it enough to be able to get to the heater core box. If you have an automatic, be careful about the gear position indicator mechanism when taking things apart. Also, dont forget to disconnect the battery before starting to work.
oh gezzz idk if I can do that lol. yeah there is all kinds of bs videos on the internet. I was trying to find one that said remove this and then this and this and walk me through it .
Old 06-29-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

While you are in there, you may consider replacing the evap coil also, if thats how you get to it!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobby2321
oh gezzz idk if I can do that lol. yeah there is all kinds of bs videos on the internet. I was trying to find one that said remove this and then this and this and walk me through it .
Yeah, its not like it used to be where you pulled the heater box off the firewall or had an access plate to remove. By far the hardest heater core I have ever had to change. I have mine bypassed right now but need to change it before winter, I travel to chicago a couple times between nov-march and it sucks with no heat. Oh, I forgot to mention, the hose disconnects under the hood are a mother to get off the tubes. They make a tool for it but even with that they can be a pain. I have done it but if I could find a shop that did it cheap, I would take it in and have it done.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine three years ago. Found a word doc with step by step instructions and pictures somewhere on the web. I think it's still on my laptop... I can check on Monday.

Clear off a section of workbench, or setup a portable table... and set each part as it comes off with their hardware. Took me a weekend to do this by myself.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Yep, I took a ton of pictures and used pint ziplock bags that I numbered and annotated with a sharpie. Made everything much easier to put back. With no extra nuts or bolts left over. Lol
Old 06-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this one while drinking a cup of coffee... it'll give you a good idea of what to do.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3519...irF150-Exp-002
Old 06-30-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks guys , I have been reading all of your post and all over the internet . They person before me bypassed the coil so I am assuming it's no good.i think I will wait till it cools down in GA and give it the old college try. Woser case I get to a point I don't feel comfortable and stop I guess.

Quick Reply: heater coil replacement