Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Head on Collision Saturday night

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head on Collision Saturday night

Hello, everyone. My little girl and I were turning on the green arrow light when an unlicensed driver ran the opposing red and slammed into us. Had to tow our 2001 F150 Supercrew home. The bumper is destroyed along with the grill, of course. And it is unable to turn completely because the two front end posts of the frame (chassis?) have been bent a few inches to the left. I can open the driver side door only a few inches because of this as well. There is transmission fluid (reddish) leaking from some kind of coolant system (looks like a tiny radiator). That same system is leaking the same fluid off of some pump that is on the lower left of the front of the engine, which has the serpentine belt around it. There is a radiator leak, as well. All else is fine, it seems. The engine runs as normal.

My question is this: Can those two front end posts of the frame be bent back in line? My wife struggled to pay $17,000 for this truck and it would be a shame to let it go.

Thank you for your help.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

i say just let the truck go that frame is junk...glad youre ok though...the trans cooler is destroyed and the P/S pump is toast...did the bags blow?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta agree. It's probably done. Sad to hear that happen but glad y'all are ok
Old 07-01-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

the frame could be straightened, the tranny cooler/radiator/core support/bumper/grille is all replaceable. But honestly, it will cost more than the truck is worth. You should be able to purchase another one in good shape for less money.

Thank god your both ok.

Talk to your insurance.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:12 AM

No, the bags didn't blow, fortunately.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 AM

It's good to hear it can be done. The "posts" only need to be straightened about four to six inches. And my wife has demanded that we fix it, no matter the cost. That poor truck has been a family friend for so long.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Thanks. The "other" was an unlicensed, foreign driver.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Not sure where you live, but a few years ago we had frame damage on a truck of ours. The insurance company wanted to total it out then let us buy it back. We found out before they could that it would make the truck a salvaged title. We didn't care, but just letting you know what could happen. It will hurt resale if you ever decide to get rid of it. Sounds like you'll have it until it literally falls apart though so I don't think it should worry you.

Ok, now that that's said......You can buy hydraulic frame adjusment kits from a few places if you decide to do this yourself. You will need some other tools as well such as a torch set with a rose bud and a BFH. Those should only be used for small sections that need to be flattened or tweeked to make the parts sit flush. The hydraulic set should be able to move the frame without heating it up. The oil cooler on the front aren't that expensive. Neither is a power steering pump. You can probably find all of the body stuff in a salvage pretty cheap depending on where you live. Good luck to you and glad you made it out ok.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad's an insurance adjuster and has told me usually insurance companies consider a vehicle totaled if the damage is 75% what the value of it is. Example, $10,000 car has $7500 in damage is "totaled" even if the damage is only cosmetics or something and it runs perfectly fine. It will get that salvaged title but that being said you could still buy it back.

However about the frame being bent a couple of inches is a major issue IMHO. Once the frame of any vehicle is bent it will never fully work properly again. Saying if you were to have another head on (I hope you never do though) the frame would bend much more than it did this time and is potentially more dangerous. When I was looking for a truck we found a 2012 Dodge 1500 but it had frame damage, other than that it was flawless and in our price range. My dad and I made a deal that he would match whatever I put up but he told me he wouldn't for this because he would hate to have something happen to me because the frame wasn't 100% and wouldn't fully protect me in a head on and he helped pay for it. I'm saying I would just think carefully about this if yall plan to still keep it and keep it till it dies. Most likely your daughter will end up driving it as she gets older and if I were you I wouldn't want her in a truck I know won't fully keep her safe.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 AM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Let it go and start over, you'll like the replacement better, seriously, put all things sentimental aside...

Quick Reply: Head on Collision Saturday night