Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancer

Hey guys recently I began considering replacing the HB on my 98 F150 due to the vibrations at idle seem to be rough. It's not something that is completely out of control, but I prefer my ride to feel absolutely great. Just a few questions though, and some tips would also be appreciated.

1. Does the Timing Cover need to be removed to properly seat the HB onto the Crankshaft nose?

2. At what mileage is it best recommended to change the OEM HB?

3. What is the simpliest technique in completing this entire procedure as far as time goes?

Any information on this would be extremely helpful. Also I currently have a 1998 F-150 XLT 4.6 V8, with an 8 groove pulley system and stock pulleys. The truck is just about to rollover the 100k mile mark (big moment).
Old 12-24-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Replacing a HB is indeed a rareity, suggest looking elsewhere for your rough idle concern.

With every engine that I have seen, the balancer is installed after the t-cover, align the woodruff key and draw the balancer into place with the retaining bolt.

If you are dead set on replacing the HB, buy or rent a balancer removal tool, the use of a standard 3 jaw puller is not the answer. Not sure of the time needed for the procedure.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

i would check other places... usully if a HB is bad... it will come completly apart..

How old is the tune up... have you cleaned your MAF..oxygen sensors..what kind of oil do you use... when i converted my 02 f150 to completly full synthetic scheaffers oil... it completly changed the truck... exspecially at idle..

these trucks are tuned from the factory to run on the lean side.. and they have a little rumble...
Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys, and I think I will check around a bit more which is why I really needed some advice. I currently use Mobil 1 5W-30 Longer Life in my truck. I seafoamed the engine at about 98k which was the first that procedure has been done. I don't believe the MAF has been cleaned because it looked pretty dirty when I was applicating my SRAI to my truck. The idle is just slightly rough which led me to the believe the IAC valve could be getting old or even possibly the HB. Anyways anymore information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like you are on tract now, always do the preventative, no cost stuff first, then if needed dig in deeper.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer