Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Generic Electronic Module (GEM) and Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generic Electronic Module (GEM) and Power Windows

I thought I would post this issue on the forum to see if anyone else has experienced it. I have a 98 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat. I am having an issue with the power windows functioning intermittently. I have narrowed the issue down to the ACC Delay Relay being closed/open intermittently. According to the electrical diagram I have found online this relay is controlled by the GEM. Which as I have discovered can fail due to moisture leaks through a badly sealed window. I also have determined that the left power window motor is not functioning as I have applied 12VDC directly to the motor in both polarities and no movement what so ever.

My question is, could a bad power window motor be causing the GEM module to intermittently energize the ACC Delay Relay? Or is looking looking like dual failure of the GEM module and the power window motor?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

So your getting no power to the switch at all?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by texasedition
So your getting no power to the switch at all?
I am getting power to the switches when the GEM module energizes the ACC Delay Relay. When that relay is on the passenger side window works from both left and right side switches. The left window is inoperative at all times.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok. So no matter what the left window doesn't move?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM

That is correct. The left window does not move no matter what.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If the motor doesn't work with power and ground applied correctly, replace the motor and recheck. Simple.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:10 AM

I thank you for your time and effort to provide an answer but it does not address my original question. As the Left Power Window motor is obviously bad, is it possible that this bad motor be causing my issue with the Generic Electronic Module cycling the ACC Delay relay.

Meaning, if I replace the the power window motor, what is the likelihood of the GEM issues going away?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Well, Your going to need a motor no matter what.

If you want to visually inspect your GEM module its easy, Just take it out and open it up. There are 2 or 4 clips holding the top on, If there is moisture problems you will see it. I just had an issue on my 02, And i chased it forever. I need a GEM module and fuse panel. Both was bought from a salvage yard for 50 bucks.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM
I am the God of hellfire

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
Well, Your going to need a motor no matter what.

If you want to visually inspect your GEM module its easy, Just take it out and open it up. There are 2 or 4 clips holding the top on, If there is moisture problems you will see it. I just had an issue on my 02, And i chased it forever. I need a GEM module and fuse panel. Both was bought from a salvage yard for 50 bucks.
My GEM is gonna need to be replaced too, found a leak in the windshield and its been leaking right on top of the GEM.

Will any GEM work from our generation trucks? Or do you need to pull one out of a truck that has the same options, like 4x4 power windows/locks ect...?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:01 PM

I'am having strange problems with my 1999 F150 XLT 2wd, 5.4 motor, with 210,000 miles on it.
Battery will go dead in about 8 hrs just setting sometimes. Wiper's not working sometimes, odometer going nuts. The last time I drove the truck, it sounded like the starter was try to engage in park and neutral with truck running.

Quick Reply: Generic Electronic Module (GEM) and Power Windows