Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

GEM Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEM Module

Having electrical problems? Very likely to be your GEM module. I've had mine replaced twice in my 2002 Lariat at $800 each time. They told me the first time it had gotten wet. Maybe. My windshield was put in very sloppily at the factory. I had it replaced. Started having problems again a few years later again intermittently until one day my truck wouldn't start. I had the GEM replaced again about a year ago. Since then I've had two more electrical episodes. Always happens when it rains hard or just 3 or 4 days of really damp, rainy, wet weather. I don't think it is necessarily water intrusion but may actually malfunction from simply damp conditions. It's a flaw. Lights flash on the console, blower motor goes on high and won't turn off. Some dummy lights come on and won't go off. I wrote to Ford about it but they offered no solutions and no help.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1,691 Likes on 591 Posts

When this happened to my 2002, it was because of the windshield leaking. Its VERY common on the 1997-2003 trucks. It leaks at the top left corner, runs down the a-pillar and drips directly onto the GEM. I removed and resealed my windshield and allowed my GEM to dry out for a few days (took it out and kept it in the garage). Once I put it all back together, I LIBERALLY applied di-electric grease to the two (or is it 3?) connectors that plug into the GEM. Never had another problem.

If you try this, you might want to make sure that the connectors on the inside of the harness plugs aren't corroded or shorted. If they are, this could be why you're still having GEM problems.

Also, if you have this problem consistently upon heavy rain, I'd say your windshield is still leaking. Look for the black insulation near the parking brake pedal. If there's water stains on it (and there probably will be), clean it off. If it rains hard again, check that thing for dampness.

Last edited by Lenn; 01-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rrlogan (01-17-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM

I am having the same issue on my 1999 F150. The dealer is removing the windshield, replacing the fuse and gem module all for about $1250 if they don't break the windshield, $1500 if they do. Do you know it there has been a recall because of this?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

No recall.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 AM

Default GEM module troubles still

I've had mine replaced twice in my 2002 Lariat. It's giving me trouble again. Last time it freaked out the ABS light came on and although the GEM recovered without being replaced the ABS light has stayed on now for months. Ford takes NO responsibility for this problem. I bought my truck new in 2002 and also bought the Ford extended warranty for 60k miles. It failed the first time during that warranty and that's when I found out the ext warranty was not by Ford but by a 3rd party who refused any help. The ext warranty was mis-represented by the dealer so beware. They say it's from windshield leaks but I had my windshield replaced and it's still a problem and I watched it being installed to be sure it was done right. Doesn't matter, when it rains hard soimetimes my GEM acts up.

Quick Reply: GEM Module