Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 PM
'04 Heritage XLT

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel Pump Replacement

Just discovered that my fuel pump is going out. Looking to buy a new fuel pump and then figure out how to install it.

What I am looking for is:

1. What brand, where did you buy yours?
2. Did you drop the tank or lift the bed?
3. Any special tools or techniques I should know about?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Horse Man

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Heritage04
Just discovered that my fuel pump is going out. Looking to buy a new fuel pump and then figure out how to install it.

What I am looking for is:

1. What brand, where did you buy yours?
2. Did you drop the tank or lift the bed?
3. Any special tools or techniques I should know about?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Are you going to buy the pump or the whole sending unit?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I dropped the tank. Use 2 floor jacks with a board under the tank to help drop it. Pain in the *** to get the filler tube on and off. Use grease to put it back on. You need a special tool to remove the fuel lines but it's pretty easy. If you can't fit under your truck sitting up next to the drive shaft then your gonna have some trouble. Bunch of stuff to disconnect on top of the tank too. I got a Bosch pump and to get the warranty you need the filter screen as well. I got them at advance auto
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
'04 Heritage XLT

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. just need the pump. not the whole sending unit. I was looking online, but they sell a bunch of unknown brands and dont know how I feel about using something I have never heard of.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Horse Man

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine a while back and was expecting it to be really hard but, I had a 1/4 of a tank just dropped it bought the tool to remove the lines and pulled it out not too bad just like he said if your not able to get up between the drive shaft and the tank it will be harder.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

i did it about a month ago and its even easier than what these guys are saying (to me at least) i siphoned out all the gas i could, put a floor jack under the middle took off the straps, lowered it about 6 inches, undid all the lines and chords and what not (accomplished this without any special tools?) and dropped it the rest of the way. I would advise you to buy the whole unit for what another $50 potentially saving you from having to drop the tank again in the future, but its obviously up to you. put everything back together in reverse order and thats it!! might need to prime it by turning your key on for a few seconds and then off again a few times. idk if it really needs it but i did it anyway! be careful you are dealing with a good bit of propellant and the slightest spark can cause a fire (obviously) good luck!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement