Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

F-150 transmission swap from auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-150 transmission swap from auto to manual

Hi everybody,
Recently i friend of mine buy an F-150 XL 1997 4.2L V6 the automatic transmission cause him a lot of problems so he decide to change the automatic transmission to a manual transmission so he get a 2003 manual transmission that was "plug and play". everything ok for two days according of what he told me ., but the truck after high acceleration in any shift but specially on 3rd shift began to make big pulls that is impossible to drive need to slow down speed to keep stable the engine .We scan the truck and a lot of codes appears.the list in the attachment
Well"! i know this is really a mess and difficult to resolve but I'll appreciate your suggestions, thanks

Old 11-07-2021, 03:30 PM

Received 432 Likes on 374 Posts

Just off the top of my head, a lot of those look like transmission codes.

It seems like your friend did not swap in a manual transmission computer as well, which is important.

A manual transmission engine computer needs to be swapped in. A 97-98 model year version, preferably. The are also wiring harness differences that may need to be addressed as the one for an automatic transmission is different.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnny Paycheck:
akdoggie (11-08-2021), Dee Veloper (07-02-2023)
Old 11-08-2021, 12:07 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'd say fix the P0102 MAF problem first. Then the P1537 VSS signal problem. Go from there
Old 11-09-2021, 07:17 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Johnny Paycheck
Just off the top of my head, a lot of those look like transmission codes.

It seems like your friend did not swap in a manual transmission computer as well, which is important.

A manual transmission engine computer needs to be swapped in. A 97-98 model year version, preferably. The are also wiring harness differences that may need to be addressed as the one for an automatic transmission is different.
Yep, the incredible thing is that he buy a donor a manual F-150 that came with everything he buy just to change the transmission after that he sold the rest of the truck: engine with computer and wires...wow"!.So he sold the solution for his problem.
The following users liked this post:
ncranchero (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 02:03 PM

Ok ,People the problem was solved we just disconnect the speed cable and the F150 is now stable...WHY? because when he accelerates the speed control mark a very high speed when the true is we just running for about 20 to 30 mph and that's why the F150 have this behavior the computer is detecting hi speed and pull to brake.
thanks everybody for your help.
ultimatenoobie (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 09:25 PM

Received 1,174 Likes on 807 Posts

There was nothing solved on the truck, but the owner's acceptance of the mess created.
If you look at the code descriptions, they are due to open circuits since the computer is looking for the automatic transmission circuits and finds the faults.
For example, the manual has no converter clutch for which one code describes. That should be a hint!
The last two codes 1537 and 38 are the intake manifold runner controls on the v6 motor.
The motor may now experience no fast return to idle between shifts since there is no communications about what the driver is doing with the brakes, throttle and shifting and manual clutch actions.
I'm sorry if this is taken as an insult but people have to think about what they are wanting to do a bit deeper before acting.
Good luck.
Old 07-02-2023, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
There was nothing solved on the truck, but the owner's acceptance of the mess created.
If you look at the code descriptions, they are due to open circuits since the computer is looking for the automatic transmission circuits and finds the faults.
For example, the manual has no converter clutch for which one code describes. That should be a hint!
The last two codes 1537 and 38 are the intake manifold runner controls on the v6 motor.
The motor may now experience no fast return to idle between shifts since there is no communications about what the driver is doing with the brakes, throttle and shifting and manual clutch actions.
I'm sorry if this is taken as an insult but people have to think about what they are wanting to do a bit deeper before acting.
Good luck.
No insult thanks for this valuable information .
Seattle_Smoke (02-05-2024)

Quick Reply: F-150 transmission swap from auto to manual