Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

F-150 problem when key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-150 problem when key in ignition

My dad has a 1999 f-150 sport stick shift. When i put the key in the ignition, i have trouble starting it the key would not turn to start, to start it, or turn the key, i have to bring out the key a bit and then it would start and work. sorry if this is confusing to you guys any ideas of what it could be? I sprayed some wd-40 inside the hole where the key goes to see if it needed to lubricated or something. Thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Minister

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My '97 did the same thing so I just replaced the key ign cyl.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:08 AM

Received 5,562 Likes on 4,638 Posts

Individual lock cylinders are repaired by discarding the inoperative cylinder and building a new lock cylinder using the appropriate lock repair package. The lock repair package includes a detailed instruction sheet to build the new lock cylinder to the current key code of the vehicle.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 94 Ford Aerotrac, I could start the van and then take the key out and put it in my pocket because the lock cylinder was so worn
Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM

Ok thanks for the response i heard also from a couple other people the same thing that it can be the ignition cylinder. ? Am i going to need a new key for this repair? Or an i going to be able to keep my original key?
Old 12-19-2013, 03:26 PM

I went to autozone to get the ignition cylinder which came out to be about $27. i installed it but the truck would not start due to it being a PATS key, so now i have to go back and get a ignition cylinder with a PATS Key. Do i have to get the key programmed or does it already come programmed to work?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Ok i got it fixed i still used the same ignition cylinder that i was going to return and instead took the pats chip from my old key and put it behind the ignition cylinder with some glue and tape and now i am able to use the keys that were supplied with the cylinder saved over $100 from buying a more expensive cylinder and then having the key programmed to my truck hope this is helpful to someone else in the same case as me
Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 AM

Default Key Cylinder 99 F150 4.2

I just recently replaced my steering column shift tube. But, just after that was done I placed my key cylinder back in the truck and now it wont start the truck.
-It worked before I replaced the shift tube.
-When off the truck the cylinder switches into all positions no problem.
-Once in the truck it goes in and goes to the run position but, no start.
-Also while in the truck the key will not come out.
-When I try to start it, the brake light, lights up.
I have just finished taking the cylinder apart and there is no visible problem with it. It goes into all positions when off the truck.
The truck does have and alarm which I never use, but I wonder it that is what is causing the brake light and the no start condition. I will be buying a new key cylinder tomorrow just to completely rule that out but. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem?

Thank you
JDM
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by OneSick01
When i put the key in the ignition, i have trouble starting it the key would not turn to start, to start it, or turn the key, i have to bring out the key a bit and then it would start and work. sorry if this is confusing to you guys any ideas of what it could be?
Not just our trucks, any vehicle will have that problem when ... the steering wheel is turned and then the key is removed ... if the vehicle rolls, causing the steering wheel lock mechanism to be "jammed" against the lock cam. Wiggling the wheel allows the key to turn/work.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1tex2tex
I just recently replaced my steering column shift tube. But, just after that was done I placed my key cylinder back in the truck and now it wont start the truck. -It worked before I replaced the shift tube. -When off the truck the cylinder switches into all positions no problem. -Once in the truck it goes in and goes to the run position but, no start. -Also while in the truck the key will not come out. -When I try to start it, the brake light, lights up. I have just finished taking the cylinder apart and there is no visible problem with it. It goes into all positions when off the truck. The truck does have and alarm which I never use, but I wonder it that is what is causing the brake light and the no start condition. I will be buying a new key cylinder tomorrow just to completely rule that out but. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem? Thank you JDM
I have since fixed the problem. It just needs a bit of a push on the shift lever. Kinda weird but till I can get eom parts it will do!

Quick Reply: F-150 problem when key in ignition