Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

exhaust manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust manifold question

might be a common question but i plan on changing out my cracked exhaust manifold on my 01 f150 supercrew

any one have any tips or experience with this?

most shops want to pull the motor out but im going to try to get the job done with just taking wheel off...
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Pull the engine their nuts lol you can get to them with out doing that lol spray them good with blaster I had two studs break when I put headers on mine take your time and good luck
Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might soon regret this decision lol. Unless your bolts aren't rusted...

I took mine to a shop to get them replaced and it ended up taking them 5+ hours per side cuz 90% of the bolts broke off. I was contemplating doing it myself to save a few $ but I'm SOOO glad I didn't because I would probably STILL be out there working on it lol.

It got expensive in the end but it's worth it not to hear that exhaust leak anymore! Save your time (and your knuckles) and just take it to a shop.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Its not tooo bad to do i changed mine out for headers last year and so far so good. It took like a solid day to switch em out. I had to take the front wheels off, take the plasticy inner wheel well molding off,had to take the oil dipstick out cuz it was in the way as well as the tranny fluid dipstick, unscrew the egr tube/connector piece from the driver side manifold, unscrew the manifold to y pipe bolts(use wd 40 because those suckers are gonna be on tight), then your studs, shouldnt be too bad if youve kept your truck in good condition or you got low miles, i had 95,000 when i switched and they came out pretty easily, slide the manifold out and bolt the new one in with the studs if your installin headers its all lil harder to put on since there bigger you gotta bob and wieve thru all the pipes and tubes to put them where they need to go and they use bolts instead of studs so there a lil easier to screw in. Oh an also make sure you put that anti sieze lubricant on the bolts/studs when you screw them back in, put back on and tighten up everything you loosened and youll be good to go mane

Last edited by Tonelocs47; 11-02-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my truck to a garage about the loud exhaust. they told me i needed new exhaust manifolds. so i took it home to investagate what was wrong. my manifolds where fine except where the bracket that hold the pipe tight up to the doughnut where roted off. so i bought aftermarket clamps and pulled it tight together closing the gap and qiueting the truck back to normal. a $10 fix.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Even if you break the studs they are that bad getting out

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold question