Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak

my truck has an exhaust leak on the manifold on the passenger side but i dont want to take it off cause the bolts are extremly rusty and im afraid the bolts will break off inside. So i was wondering if they made a sealer or something that i could put on the outside to get rid of the ticking sound when i accelerate
Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM

good question im watching this one i have the same problem, minus the rust.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 PM

any help?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the same problem, and i couldnt find any sealer so i had to take it to a shop and replace it, and once they replace it, take it home and let it sit for a day to cool off, and goin and tighten the bolts when its cold, so when it expands from the heat, it makes the seal tighter and it wont be as likely to leak again!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only proper fix for this problem is to replace the gasket. Spray down the bolts and pray the nuts come off. If they do, good, if they don't you will have to drill them out. With the right tools it will only take a day. I would also recommend replacing all the stud on that side because they might break off going back together. Then that would mean doing the job all over again. Using a left hand drill bit if they break off should take the broken bolts right out.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

x2^^^^
Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Ford Tough !!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Freeze Off by CRC, awesome for rusted bolts, nuts, ect. I just recently found this at AutoZone & have used it since while trying to get this 4.6 running right.
I have used it on my O2 sensors, a number of intake bolts, (being in alum & not coming off easy is always a real risk of snapping).
But on a number of parts replacement I spray each bolt or nut, tap it a number of times as should with any product used to allow it to penetrate the threads & depending on the location & bolt/nut, I sometimes do it a few diff times, but each time thus far it has always impressed me on how great it works. I have been a fan of CRC for years & this new product has me sold even more so on CRC.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ nice tip....I'll have to try that.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Ford Tough !!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the manifold leak. I posted my story of my 2001 exhaust manifold leak on here for another with blown motor last week. I will again in hope of saving someone a motor as it did me.

I developed a blown manifold gasket on the passenger side of my 2001 F-150 5.4, (this was in 2008).
Not being able to stand that infamous noise I took it into a muffler shop to be replaced.
2 mechanics looked at it and discussed the following with me. To replace the gasket will be $75.00.
Great, let's get er done!!
There is a problem with doing this, they stated.
They would prefer I took it to a Ford dealer to see what caused this. For just 85,000 miles on a Ford engine, it should not have blown the gasket.
If we replace the gasket, within a month you will be replacing your motor!

Now the cost of an engine got my attention!

I brought it to Ford & explained the above. Service Manager stated had never heard of this, but could replace the gasket.
I said no thanks, do you have a qualified mechanic to look into why?
I was assured he did & added it to the work order.
Next day & $383.00, (plus or minue a few $$$, 2 yrs ago ya know), I picked up my truck & was glad to have it sounded as should. When I picked the truck up I asked to speak with the S/M to see what was discovered to cause the gasket to go. S/M was out as was the mechanic, so based on the price I assumed it had indeed been corrected.
27 days later driving to work, as if I shut my key off the motor died!
Yup, cost me a brand new motor!!!

This truck has always been serviced by Ford dealer, so none will point a finger at another. A diff shop stated it could have had plugs installed that were to hot for the engine.
The gasket did blow approx 8,000 miles after the tune up a Ford dealor did, so I dunno.

Give it some thought & best wishes, may have been a fluke thing but I have never blown a Ford engine with under 200,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak