Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust leak

I have a 1997 f150 4.6L.
There's been a quiet ticking coming from somewhere in my exhaust system(stock with a cherry bomb replacing the muffler) for a month or two. I finally got sick of it & diagnosed the problem. It appeared to be a hole in the catalytic converter & after some thinking, I decided I don't want to buy a new one, so I'll just replace them with dual pipes all the way back. I torched the pipes off before the converters & started the truck (now sounds like grave digger). Only problem now, the ticking is still there. I just had the manifolds replaced last spring, so there's no way they should have a hole in them.

Question is this: is there anything else that could be causing the ticking? Today it started flashing the check engine light for a misfire, but I've had a misfire before & it didnt tick like this does.

Any help or guesses are appreciated. Sorry if this post is somewhere else, I'm on my phone & this isn't the easiest site to navigate without a computee
Old 03-31-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Torched off converters now check engine light duh. must be a hell of a tick if you can hear it above an open exhaust
Old 03-31-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Torched off converters now check engine light duh. must be a hell of a tick if you can hear it above an open exhaust
check engine light has been on for about a year. I changed the plugs once & it went off, but came back a day or two later. I think it was my o2 sensors but the only things that came up on the computer were the misfires inplugs 1 & 8.

the tick isn't just an average manifold-sounding tick. it sounds like it's coming out of the end of the exhaust pipe itself. Like if there was an internal tick somewhere & the sound traveled through the pipe & out the end. I have no idea what it could be.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnHornick
I have a 1997 f150 4.6L.
There's been a quiet ticking coming from somewhere in my exhaust system(stock with a cherry bomb replacing the muffler) for a month or two. I finally got sick of it & diagnosed the problem. It appeared to be a hole in the catalytic converter & after some thinking, I decided I don't want to buy a new one, so I'll just replace them with dual pipes all the way back. I torched the pipes off before the converters & started the truck (now sounds like grave digger). Only problem now, the ticking is still there. I just had the manifolds replaced last spring, so there's no way they should have a hole in them.

Question is this: is there anything else that could be causing the ticking? Today it started flashing the check engine light for a misfire, but I've had a misfire before & it didnt tick like this does.

Any help or guesses are appreciated. Sorry if this post is somewhere else, I'm on my phone & this isn't the easiest site to navigate without a computee
First things first I'd get the exhaust fixed. Then figure out what the code is and post back here.
The following users liked this post:
JohnHornick (03-31-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 05:08 AM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

It's possible that the ball-in-cup connection at the manifold is loose. I always tighten those things up again after they've heated and cooled a few times. Just try and tighten it at the flange where these flange bolts are.

The following users liked this post:
JohnHornick (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by white89gt
It's possible that the ball-in-cup connection at the manifold is loose. I always tighten those things up again after they've heated and cooled a few times. Just try and tighten it at the flange where these flange bolts are.

that's a very good possibility. I will definitely check that. thanks!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

No problem. Let us know!

Quick Reply: exhaust leak