Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Engine Swap..what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap..what do I need to know?

Hello all,

My '99 XL 4.6L 5-speed has a serious rod knock. I've had it for sale for about a month or two now, and have recently been toying with the idea of just finding a used motor somewhere and having it swapped in. The truck is very clean and everything is great aside from the motor and clutch. However, I had a few questions regarding the engine:

1. First off, where might be a good place to find a used motor? I've tried craigslist and the internet briefly, but only found rebuilt motors from websites for $1500+. I haven't had a chance to try any scrapyards in the area, but was just wondering if there might be a good place online to start.

2. I've seen several references to two different 4.6L motors for 1999: something about romeo and windsor. What exactly does this mean?

All help is appreciated, I'm no mechanic but I'd love to get my truck back on the road. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I can only "help" with the differences in the 4.6s

You can find out which engine you have by checking your vin number, i believe it's the 8th number.
W is the romeo
8 is windsor

There are also a few other ways to tell the difference that you can find online

(I'm not 100% sure if i got that right so i wont get offended if somebody corrects me)

Quick Reply: Engine Swap..what do I need to know?