Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Engine Miss

Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Miss

Need some input on a fix for a 2001 F150 Lariat Super Crew with 167,000 miles on her. We have a miss that just started a couple of days ago. Had new plugs installed 4000 miles ago along with standard service at a Ford Agency. Just had the oil changed and a new fuel filter installed and filled gas tank (10 gallons topped it off) with 93 octane as I thought I may have picked up some bad gas on last fill-up at Sam's (87 octane). Seems that the 5.4 is fine when I first start her up (Cold) and after driving about a mile or so the miss starts. When I stop at a light the engine runs pretty smooth except for a lop or slight miss. I thought it may have been an injector as when I first raised the hood I noticed that on the front injector, passenger side, was a little puddle of anti-freeze at the base of that injector. I couldn't find a leak from any of the surounding hoses though. I dried the injector off with a hand towel thinking that the liquid may have caused the problem but no that didn't fix anything.
Could this be a bad ignition coil, though I've never had any problems with them in all 167,000 miles. Would a bad EGR valve make our baby miss like I've explained? I'd like to fix this my self as we're real low on funds right now as we havent gotten our Social Secturity checks yet and if I take it to Ford there goes the budget for 3 months for sure.

Appricate any advice that anyone can come up with.

Thanks
DerbyTracr@aol.com
Old 10-23-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

These engine are slow to throw a code for missfire. The coolant seen around the injector, could that have gotten into the COP (coil on plug). It seems this engine is touchy with moisture around the coils. Good luck, I am notifying a moderator to move this thread to a more suitable location for better coverage.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1,681 Likes on 587 Posts

Moved for ya...
Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your help and the members on this forum seem to be real helpful and have good knowledge. Thank you again.

Buddy - DerbyTracr@aol.com

Last edited by DerbyTracr; 10-24-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Miss