Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Emergency Brake Cable issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Brake Cable issues

Hi, I recently got a used 98 F150 v6 manual 4x4. It had some issues I knew about (brakes shot, heavy rust, CEL for "p1537 p1538" which I hope is just a vacuum leak, etc) but it was cheap. I did the rear drum brakes but found both of the rear emergency brake cables were both frozen (this is probably why the brakes were so bad). I replaced the cables, but I am having issues getting it all hooked up again. I think I figured out the ratchet on the front cable at the E brake pedal to give some slack to hook things up, and am able to hook the front cable to the rear right cable (the longer one), but the rear left cable simply will not get close enough as far as I can tell. The diagrams I have found online show an equalizer linkage that I do not have on my truck. I have a simpler thing, maybe the wrong part or something aftermarket? In any case, I can't get the parking brakes hooked up properly. Im at a loss now what to do next.

Maybe I am not releasing the front brake cable enough? I am pulling a gear/sprung lever forward with my fingers and then jamming a screwdriver in a hole in the side to lock it in place. that gives me an extra 2 inches or so of slack on the front cable. Is that what you are supposed to do, or is there a way to get more cable out of there? (but really, I am not sure more cable is what I need at this point)

(picture of the ratchety thing I was adjusting on the parking brake lever below)

Here is the picture of parking brake connector I had on my truck, is it possible it is wrong, or was connected wrong?

I'm not terribly familiar with ford trucks, so I may be missing something that is obvious, but if you have any thoughts or advice, I would appreciate it.

thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 02:08 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

There is an equalizer bar there where the two cables come thru. Did you get the correct cables for your particular truck? I mean, SCab or SCrew or regular cab, with whichever bed length. They are different lengths for the intermediate cable etc. Haynes manual, #36059, does show how everything is set up. My service manual (Ford) says the very same thing and shows similar pictures.

Here is a repair link from Autozone that shows it correctly. If you don't have it this way, then you need to regroup and start over. Click on anything in the picture with the word view for a better picture of that area. Good luck.

http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...00c152801e5a40
Attached Thumbnails Emergency Brake Cable issues-0900c152801e5a41.gif  

Last edited by akdoggie; 05-26-2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:13 AM

Here is a closeup of your equalizer set up. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 AM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Nice pics ak!

I'd give a thanks, but it seems to have disappeared???
Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I never saw an adjustable equalizer on my 03. Sure wish there was one, or someone would tell me the trick to installing the cable. I had no idea how to get slack in it to connect cables together at the connector. My equalizer looks like this. I wedged both parking brake levers forward and connected cables together. And not supprising but no sign of any spring in that area either. Springs at end of cables by backing plate

Last edited by 03 Fx4; 05-26-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 AM

03 fx4, thats what I have on mine, here's a pic.

But, I dont think it's fitting. maybe it never fit (seems like the rear drums were ruined by the parking brakes freezing up)? it's a 1998 f150, not an 03. POssibly the orginal owner put something aftermarket in? Where could I get a replacement equalizer/adjuster assembly?

I didn't replace the intermediate (front) cable. it seems to be in the right place, but I don't know what length it should be extending out to. I have the standard cab, I got the cables from Advance, I can check to see if they are the same length as the old ones.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes I saw that, Hell the cable replacement went easy until I needed to put the ends together, that last half inch was a bitch. I ended up taking the wheels off, drums off and prying the E brake levers behind the backing plate forward to give slack. That is how I replaced my (long) cable, should have done them both because with the condition that one the other should be replaced also. Mine was stuck.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:40 AM

I am wondering/worried that it's not the right part for the year of the truck. is that a common swap to make? I don't even know if it ever worked. I guess I dont really know what to do next.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:31 PM

Like I said earlier, there are different cables for different trucks. Here is a link to Rockauto and the listings they have. You have to be sure you have the correct parts to make the ebrakes fit correctly. Right rear seems to be the one that there are different lengths, so be aware that they are different by wheelbase.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...ake+cable,1696
Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 PM

Oh, I thought you were saying the intermediary cable (the front one) was the one with different lengths. I guess I am just confused as to why my 'equalizer' looks so different/non-adjustable than from the diagram. In any case, I finally *DID* get the front and rear cables connected, took a lot of pulling with a vice grip and finaggling the front pedal to give as much slack as I could get from it. It seems to be working OK now, the parking brake is releasing and holding.

So, last question, I adjusted the brakes to the correct distance (basically, the star adjuster fully closed, the the new full pads there wasn't any extra room). But do the fords need the whole "back up in reverse and brake hard a couple times" things to set them, or are they ok once they are set?

Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Emergency Brake Cable issues