Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Electric to Manual ---Transfer Case Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric to Manual ---Transfer Case Conversion

My current set up is simply and electric Transfer case that I took the motor off and put on a "shiftster". Simply **** that mounts right on the T-case. I have the posi-lok of the front hub inside the cab already. Just wanting to get the T-case inside also. ANY IDEARS????!!!!???? My very first though I was thinking it making a direct drive with flex shaft attached directly to the yoke on the t case and running it to the ''shifster'' which would be mounted in cab. Let me know... Any ideas are appreciated!!!!

Here is what I have know

www.theshiftster.com
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2010, 02:12 AM

Swap in a true manual T-case?
Old 12-25-2010, 02:28 AM

No, its electric now! Pic is th show shiftster
Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 AM

The point was to get rid of the electric shifting motor, correct? I think its a great idea.

You looking to do it so you dont have to get out and manually turn it? Make a lever some how.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm all for the idea, uncertain of the actual installation, I'm one of those that is a hands on guy.

Back in the early 60's, plowed snow in a small jeep pick up, all manual, never an issue. Had my own 90 Bronco II, all electric and atuomatic, had to engage it in the low lands before going up skiing. Would never engage in cold temps otherwise. Now I have a 88 Bronco II, all manual, no mess, no fuss, always there to do its thing.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Yeah my ides is very simple and should work just fine. Right now i have the front hubs engaged all the time, but i have to get our ,crawl under my truck and turn the shiftster. My thought is a piece or flexable shaft attached to the transfer case. 2 foot long and make a simple "J" bend right into the cab attached to the shiftster. I dont ever care if its behind the drivers seat. Actually I would rather have it there out of the way. I may have to get out but not get all dirty and snowy under the truck. Any idea on cables? My first thought was a lever system HOWEVER in order to get 4Low it has to turn 300 Degrees and am not sure how to get that from a lever type.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by twilson16
No, its electric now! Pic is th show shiftster
Thats what I'm saying is to swap in a true manual transfer case and shift linkage. No more worries after that.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Yeah Im looking at $800 for T-Case and another 150 for the linkage and shifters.

Convert the Auto one--- Should be less than 100 bucks.

Seems silly to waste a completely good T-Case.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might be able to rig up a cable operated sector and rack. Find an industrial off the shelf rack and pinion set, cut out about 60 deg. from the pinion to make a sector gear and mount that to the t-case. modify the rack with positive stops and drive it with a cable or lever. You would need to fabricate a housing for this.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by twilson16
Yeah Im looking at $800 for T-Case and another 150 for the linkage and shifters.

Convert the Auto one--- Should be less than 100 bucks.

Seems silly to waste a completely good T-Case.
Thats why you see people giving away Electric T-cases, they're worthless. I converted my 04 Ranger to a manual T-case out of a Level II Ranger and I can't even get a $100 out of the 64,000 mile mint condition T-case, working shift motor, and working 4wd computer. Apparently the salvage yards aren't very friendly in your area. You can buy junked 97-03's on craigslist for under $1k all day long in my area and I'm sure I could have a Tcase for $250. My local yard has one for $350 out of a 55K mile truck.

I just don't think you'll end up with anything good. If you did you'll be one rich man because the shifterster is the only thing out right now that works and they suck (laying on the ground to shift it). I believe the only way to get anything that might work decently is to do what BigIrish has said. Ive thought about ways of trying to do this as a quick, simple bolt on would make you a rich man as you could adapt it to so many other vehicles and so many people would want one.

Quick Reply: Electric to Manual ---Transfer Case Conversion