Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Driver window wont go down

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver window wont go down

My driver side window won't go down. I replaced the switch and it didnt work. When I press the switch down, I hear a clicking noise from the fuse box under the steering wheel. I checked the fuses and they are all fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tested the window motor?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM

No. How do I do that?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, here's EXACTLY how you do this:
1.) remove door panel (Skip to step 10 if you know how to do this)
2.) pull off interior trim pieces both forward and aft of the window, these are connected with clips that should release with just moderate pulling.
3.) pry out both plastic "christmas tree" clips located under the trim pieces you removed which hold down the panel itself.
4.) pop off 1" diameter door handle access hole just aft of the door handle.
5.) using a small extension and a socket wrench remove the door handle attached with one bolt through the access hole you just removed.
6.) pop off window switch panel on door rest. You will feed this through the opening once you pull the door panel off. Alternatively you may unplug all the switches (but i HIGHLY recommend you just feed it through, I've removed these door panels about two dozen times...)
7.) pull door panel straight up it should release from the door.
8.) twist out door light from panel and be sure your switch panel is fed through the panel
9.) with the door panel set aside peel off the protective sheeting. You should now be able to see inside of the door.
10.) You should see the window motor roughly center in the door, just under the scissor lift which moves the actual window up and down. Unplug the actual motor via the cannon plug in the door.
11.) apply 12V to the motor (and ground) and see if it moves. You have now tested the motor

Consider also checking at the plug itself if the motor is even getting voltage.
Good luck

-Kirk
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM

I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same problem with both of my windows and my research led me to one of two possibilities.

1.) The motor itself is fried, but it doesn't sound like that since you are hearing something when you press the window switch.

2.) The old/cheap plastic gears/bushings inside the window motor have turned to sludge/dust. I would bet that this is the case give what you are hearing since the motor will turn, but the gears that it would be turning are mush...so nothing happens.

There are two ways to fix the problem (assuming that I haven't missed some third option). The one that I opted for was to replace both window motors (installed replacements from Advanced Auto parts this past weekend and they work great). I assumed that even if the gears were the problem that the motors were 20 years old and probably didn't have too much life left in them anyway. The other option is to buy replacement gears (also available from Advanced Auto, or other parts stores) and swap the original gears out while retaining the original motors.

These YouTube videos (series of three) were pretty helpful. I was able to replace both motors in under an hour. Just be aware that you will have to do a little drilling (as shown in the video).

Check these links out:

Parts for motor replacement (if you want to go that way; NOTE that these parts are for a 1992):

Driver's side: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...m=window+motor

Passenger's side:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...m=window+motor
The following users liked this post:
Robs92 (07-01-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

One other thing to try that has bought me another 6 months of not having to replace it is whack it with a hammer. I pulled my door panel off and gave it a few medium strength taps and it has worked ever since. While this is by no means a permanent fix, it's a good test and will buy you some time. Though not as much since its the driver side and not the passenger.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tansupercrew
One other thing to try that has bought me another 6 months of not having to replace it is whack it with a hammer. I pulled my door panel off and gave it a few medium strength taps and it has worked ever since. While this is by no means a permanent fix, it's a good test and will buy you some time. Though not as much since its the driver side and not the passenger.
I used to just bang on my door, got me 6 months as well.... Then it completely died in winter... With my window down.... And the day after my heater core conveniently blew..... Needless to say canadian winters suck that much more with your window down and no heat
Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do the video, Lazarus-F150.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Robs92
Thanks for taking the time to do the video, Lazarus-F150.
Thanks for the thanks! Sadly, I can't take credit for making the videos. I found them on YouTube. I just figured that I could save anyone that reads this thread a little searching.

Quick Reply: Driver window wont go down