Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Door swap for power options!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door swap for power options!

Hi all!

I have read around many places and could not locate the information.. I have a 1997 F150 with manual crank windows, manual locks and manual mirrors.

After getting my mirrors bumped one too many times in the parking lot, and with a busted window regulator on the driver door, I decided to do a swap with a pair of doors I grabbed for 100.00. I did all the work myself and learned a few things along the way.. I do all my own repairs.

Issue here is that these trucks have a harness in place at the driver kick panel that is not used (for doors with power options). I installed the wiring harness to that connection and got nothing! Next thing I did was swap out the interior fuse panel and ctm for the fuse panel from the donor truck including the gem. Of course I did this enough times that it is quick and simple for me.

Now I have power to my windows with OTD and everything works. So I ran through a check list of what the gem controls to verify function. Hit the wipers and could not turn them back off! (They worked perfectly with the ctm before the gem). Swap everything back out several times.

So now I have the donor fuse panel which allows my power mirrors to work but nothing for the power windows. I also have the ctm back in place of the gem and my wipers are working normally. The power windows I gather is fully gem related. I even did the orange/white to tan/light blue bypass. Nothing. I know about the two wires of tan/light blue. One is actually thicker than the other so I traced it back and did the correct one going to the master switch.

Looking for answers about the wipers going nuts with the gem for curious minds and looking to power up these windows! Should I just source a 12v feed to my door and tap in? Other ideas? Thank you.

Last edited by Rustbucket97; 05-18-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Adding info I forgot
Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have been too quick on the questions.. I just pulled apart the schematics and figured if I can redirect the power..

So the OTD relay is most likely controlled by the gem. However the accessory delay relay seems to also be controlled by the gem in a way.

I made the answer to supply power to the windows without a gem module in the truck. You will need the fuse panel with provisions for power options (relays and fuses required are normally empty without contacts for none power option 1997 F150, maybe other years/models..) and without the gem, you can retain the ctm from your vehicle and mate the two together.

Bypass the accessory delay relay with a jumper from pin 30 to pin 87 (or get crafty and gut a relay as I will do for a clean appearance) and you will have power!! :-)

I'm sure some room for improvement is available here, I hope it helps someone out. Both down positions on my window switch run normally without OTD which I can recount many times in other vehicles hitting it by accident in a rain storm.. not fun. Ha ha.

Quick Reply: Door swap for power options!