Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

cv axle??

Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Bruski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cv axle??

I just had an alignment done, I need new rear leaf springs so they couldn't get it perfect but it was close. I went to drive it and I have death wobbles in the wheel and hear a popping sound from the front. Looked and found the the right side cv axle was throwing grease everywhere. I don't think its just the boot loose due to the wobbles and popping. The truck was in a decent wreck on that side and major suspension and drivetrain damage was done. Replaced all front suspension; upper control arms, upper lower ball joints, inner outer tir rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, shocks, torsion bar, etc. So I know none of that is faulty. I was stoked i got to drive it for the first time in over 3 months just to find out theres something else wrong. Any suggestions?? Im pretty sure its the cv axle though.
Thank in advance
Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

The wobbly wheel and popping is coming from a bad wheel bearing. The alignment shop should have noticed it and never aligned it that way. That's why they couldn't get it right, and it will need done correctly after installing a new wheel bearing.
Jack that wheel off of the ground, and grab it and see it you can move it around. Slowly spin it while you listen closely. Feel for any grinding while you spin it.

The axle needs replaced also if the boots torn and slinging grease, but I think it's secondary to your problem. It just happens to be bad also.

FWIW....if it is a bad bearing, tell the alignment shop you want your money back and never go there again.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Bruski

I had it on jackstands before the alignment and it seemed like it was grinding a little when spun then it would come to a point where it would get in a bind and if I tried to rotate it, it would pop. The grease boot didn't look damaged but I couldn't really check it out at the time. Think it could possibly be a bad hub?? I planned on going back to the shop Monday and telling them something isn't right. I asked for the print out but their printer was conveniently out of ink...I don't like that shop as it is but its the only one close to where I live.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Sure sounds like a bad hub to me. Can you feel a vibration through the steering wheel? Does it get better/worse going around turns?

The hub isn't hard to pull, and needs pulled anyhow to change the axle. Once you pull it, you can spin the bearing by hand. You will know for sure then if it's bad or not.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Bruski

Originally Posted by skizriz
Sure sounds like a bad hub to me. Can you feel a vibration through the steering wheel? Does it get better/worse going around turns?

The hub isn't hard to pull, and needs pulled anyhow to change the axle. Once you pull it, you can spin the bearing by hand. You will know for sure then if it's bad or not.
Yea you can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. Doesn't seem to change much around turns but its pretty bad. I replaced both hubs not to long ago because they were bad then I guess when I wrecked, it jacked the passenger side one up. That's the side all the impact was on. I also realized that there was a bolt missing on the hub on the passenger side. The other two are tight but that one is completely gone. Maybe the hub is just loose...doubtful though. Oh, and my ABS light is on in the dash, have gotten it checked out but I know bad hubs and wheel speed sensors will cause the ABS light to come on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cv axle??