Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Cost of big ticket repairs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Cost of big ticket repairs

What is the average cost for replacing the 5.4L motor, and transmission in the truck? I'm not sure exactly which one I have I'll look in my doorjam tomorrow. Trying to think over options because I love my 10th gen... but my favorite bodystyle for the F150 is the 2004-2008. So not any time soon but maybe in 3-5years from now when the prices of the trucks go down even more because of the age and miles on the trucks I would like to look into picking up a 4X4 supercrew.

I'm just wondering what the difference in price is between the v2 and v3 5.4L, and transmissions and such. I know this section would obviously have a lot more input on the 10th gen so I'll also post this in the 11th gen section to get their opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-2016, 08:59 PM

define replace? If you went to ford to have this service done, your RO would easily run 5+ thousand. At that point, id personally say use that money and put a nice down payment on a 11th gen hahaha. but replacing the drive train of these trucks can be done on a budget as others on here would tell you. You could find a good deal on a rebuilt trans and a used, low mile 5.4, then take it to a shop and have them install it. that would be a more economical decision. But I have worked in a shop and worked in sales. If you truly aspire to get a new one in 3-5 years, I dont Know if I would dump the money of putting a new drivetrain in it now when you may be selling in a few short years. But odds are you have a 5.4 with the 4R70W. neither is hard to find reman'd, however, I'd be careful with any remans that arent from ford or another source with a proven track record.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:10 PM

Im asking because like I said I like the body more of the 11th gen, but if its stupidly more expensive to fix up the 11th gens when major things go out, then I'll be keeping this one for life. The way I see it is like this....

New truck 4x4 even if I just go with something like XLT trim level I'd be around 36k-40k for a 2016 model still now.

If I were to put 36k into my current 2003 KR I could easily redo the motor/trans multiply times.. and other big items on the truck. Also along with doing some good upgrades like pushing a bit more HP out of a custom built 5.4L, and a transmission to keep up. Also upgrading gear in the rear end when it comes time to replace them.. just things I'm thinking on.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:37 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

I wouldnt touch a 2004-2008

cam phasers killing engines
spark plugs that break off and cost up to $1000 to have extracted

No Fricking Way

The 10th gen is better made than any truck you can get since. Mileage is poorer, less power, but simpler and more durable.

Transmission, used would be a few hundred, and put in yourself
Upgraded reman, could run as high as 2500 + installation

engine - used could be $1200 or so, but low miles , legitimately, are getting rare. Ford reman can be bought for 3400+ tax at dealer parts counter. Installation at dealer will push
$6000 or more depending on what else do. Book shop labor time is 20 hrs, good techs can do in quite a bit less.

You can find people to install for $1200, and you can get a reman for less. AER makes fords remans. AER also makes ford racing products engines. AER has fords specs to reman to.

My AER engine was $2850 thru my shop , $1200 installation, + tax, few miscl parts, coolant, etc. Came with motorcraft plugs, waterpump, thermostat. 12 month warranty by shop that installed it, 3 yr/100k warranty by AER. Ill put 75K on it in 3 yrs before warranty is up. 25000 miles on it currently, no problems at all. By the time I was done tweaking a few things, like putting ford gold coolant back int, I spent $4600 on engine including tax.

Last edited by mbb; 12-13-2016 at 09:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mbb:
Brandmaner (12-13-2016), poorboy1964 (12-14-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:45 PM

Ah okay. I wouldn't be looking to push a ton more HP out of a engine. I'm not in that time of my life anymore where I think I should beat every car/truck I pull up against off the line.. I just want something that will tow when I need it to. And get me from A to B without looking like a pile of crap :P. I've owned a ton of run down $500-900 vehicles in the past 10 years. I really enjoy my KR even though I've had it for a short time, the thing that kills me on these 01-03 F150s is the bed.. I really dislike the beds.

But I have no problem keeping my current truck, I don't think I could personally put in a transmission or motor, or even do re-gearing on my own.. My father can though. As he has a 1999 Lariat that he has done all of the above on himself in the past 5years. I just broke 300k miles when he had to put in the new engine. It didn't get a new transmission until 230k miles, and the rear end was the first to go when gears busted on him at work one day and that was at 180k miles. (Granted he tows with his truck at least 2-3 times a week he works at a camper place, and he does all the towing to customers houses and such, that is to include a lot of 5th wheel tows.) So his truck has taken a beating and kept on going and it's just the 4.6L.

I am fine with the 5.4L as is stock, I was hoping to push a bit more HP but at the same time just make the next motor a bit more bullet proof for a while longer with upgraded components not just for the speed or power boost.

Can you point me in a direction to start looking at future purchases for motors/trans/ or anything else that could go wrong with a truck that has 212k miles? I hear a bit of noise when accelorating I'm not 100% sure what it is, but it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust area so I'm assuming its just a crack in the muffler or piping. I notice some water dripping on it when I first start it in the cold mornings. But it goes away once the truck warms up.

mbb I thank you for alway being here to help me .
Old 12-13-2016, 10:02 PM
mbb

you may have exhaust leak, very common. Ive never had one on mine though.

Monster transmission builds some upgraded trannys

stock remans can be had from lots of companies

A reputable wrecking yard will locate a low mile used engine and do installation, or line you up with someone good that does it cheap on the side. Thats cheapest. But if you pay someone to do it, your still spending $2500 or more and have an old engine, old head gaskets, old seals, old freeze plugs, old water pump, no idea how it was maintained, etc. So, it makes sense to replace a few things if go that route. definitely freeze plugs, water pump, etc.

Id reccomend finding an install shop you trust, locally owned, not a national chain..Someone that installs a lot of engines ,then tell them you want an AER engine.

Last edited by mbb; 12-13-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:11 PM

I plan to run straight pipes anyways so when I take it into the muffler shop I'll have them check out all the pipping just to be sure. I looked up the AER engines that will be the way I go for sure. When you get an AER engine I seen that everything is pretty much new and they recommend getting a new water pump and plugs and a few other things. And of course I'd follow that recommendation so I could make sure to keep my warranty. I don't mind paying 3-5k to have the "new" engine bought and installed and such. To me it'd be like getting a "new" truck lol. I'd be a little sad if I replaced the engine then the transmission or another 2-4k component went out but sometime's that's just life.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:02 AM
mbb

Yep...it can happen.
But if truck cosmetically in good shape too, youll get the moneys worth out of it if you keep driving it for several years.

. Only way to lose is to get rid of it or total it, because wont get what you put in back
Old 12-14-2016, 06:49 AM

Yea cosmetically the only thing wrong is it has a small paint chip in the front right above the grille, then there is some small hail damage on the hood, and a few small dings on the tail gate and of course the bed is rough but only 2 spots need to be fixed because I'll be putting in a spray in liner so the scratches wont even matter