Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Coil on Plug replacement question--should be easy for you to answer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil on Plug replacement question--should be easy for you to answer

So last night my 02 f150 with a 5.4 began to shutter severely at a light acceleration and the service engine began blinking and then stayed lit. I pulled into Auto Zone and they hooked up to the cpu and said the code was a misfire in cyl #2. After spending all morning reading on here I have decided that I should start by changing the plug and COP on that cylinder. I am really not retarded, but have not spend much time under my hood and have not had the truck very long--but I have to ask-- WHERE IS THE COP AND PLUG on this thing!? I know cyl. #2 is the second one back on the passenger side, but can anyone tell me where the plug and COP are located. Again, sorry for asking a stupid question, but I am used to working on older smallblock Chevs. Thansk for your help and for not making TOO much fun of me. And Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2008, 02:27 PM
01screwman

the COP is directly on top of the cylinder, its an overhead cam engine so its going to be on top of the engine. Its black and has a wire and plug running to it. Its held down by one small bolt. the #2 cylinder should be easy to get to. Oh, it'll be below the fuel rail. the plug is under the plug. I've delt with this COP alot so if you have anymore questions just ask. hope this helps
Old 12-25-2008, 10:21 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-26-2008, 06:01 PM

my 03 supercrew just started doing the same thing the other day! i am wondering if maybe there may be a small problem with the cylinders in the 5.4's! i was also going to take the injector off next to that COP and clean them hoping it will make a difference. we shall see what happens...
Old 12-26-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by slugger7
my 03 supercrew just started doing the same thing the other day! i am wondering if maybe there may be a small problem with the cylinders in the 5.4's! i was also going to take the injector off next to that COP and clean them hoping it will make a difference. we shall see what happens...
My 01 started doing the same thing at 102,000 miles . I changed all 8 plugs(Motorcraft), COP's and injectors. It runs like brand new and I should be good for another 100,000 miles .
Old 12-27-2008, 11:38 AM

what was the cost of that because i am considering just doing what you did...my truck is not quite at a 100K but will be shortly!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure if you can find motorcraft from anywhere else other than ford, but I know the motorcraft COP are about 100 bucks a piece. BWD is about 45 a piece.

Actually I do believe most autoparts stores can get Motorcraft COPs and theyre about 65.00 a piece.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:21 AM

Hey guys, just thought i would update you. I bought a New Coil and new plug at AutoZone for 50 bucks, changed them out and it runs like it should. I did have to reset the computer though because it was still throwing the cyl 2 misfire code. I have put a couple hundred miles on it without and trouble and no codes. Also, when I pulled the coil there was a lot of condensation on the boot. It makes sense because I live in the Northwest and we have had record snow fall and I have been out in the slushy roads a lot. Anyways, it was a simple fix with no broken plug (thankfully) and I am pretty sure if I put a new 5 dollar boot on the coil that I took out it will work fine if I have another similar problem. Take care and have a happy new year.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Read here before about putting a dielectric compound on the connections to help prevent the moisture thing. Might use the search button to verify.

Quick Reply: Coil on Plug replacement question--should be easy for you to answer