Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

clutch problem need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem need help!!

I'm new here an I'm just hoping I can get some advice and insight on a problem that I can't figure out for the life of me.
I drive an 02 single cab 4x4 5 speed and my clutch pedal lost pressure completely an I would have to fill the resivoir every 5 minutes only to notice fluid would just pour out of the bellhousing. So i dropped the tranny an put the new slave cylender on an hooked my hydrolic line back up correctly an bolted my tranny back up an wanted to bleed the clutch before i put everything else back together completely incase i ran into any problems i wouldn't have to start all over again. Well everytime i push my clutch pedal all i get is a puff of air out of my bleeder valve instead of fluid. There isn't any fluid being pumped into the slave cylender like there should be all I'm getting is air. Is my master cylender bad as well? I hope somebody can help me out cuz its been almost 3 months since i started this project an having to find rides to work is getting harder an harder an seemed to finally catch a break in the weather for the next few days so I'm hoping i can figure it out asap.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM
"BIG RED"

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Years ago I had a '94 Explorer with a 5 speed manual, and I had a similar problem. I replaced the slave and master cylinders and could not get it to bleed. I ended up disassembling the master cylinder from inside the firewall and pouring fluid directing in to it then reassembling it. After I did that I was able to bleed it normally. I'm no physicist but it seemed to me that the reservoir for the master cylinder was connected below the master cylinder and it was impossible to bleed it completely if it was completely empty with out backfilling the master cylinder from inside the cab…and yes I did try to use a hand pump to pull the air out as well with negative results.

To this day I am still convinced there was an easier way, but that's what worked for me then…it was a pain in the ***
Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch bleeding

I've had good luck bleeding difficult clutch systems by using a Mity Vac vacuum pump and sucking the fluid thew the bleeder. My old Ranger it helped to put the truck on the ramps I use for oil changes. They can be a real pain in the ***!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 AM

I just can't seem to figure it out. Because my thoughts are if the master cylender does happen to be bad then that would explain the lack of fluid being pumped to the slave cylinder, but if the master cylender was bad then I wouldn't be gettin puffs of air coming out of the bleeder valve in the SC everytime I pushed the clutch pedal. Right?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:11 AM
"BIG RED"

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

That makes sense to me. Try the hand pump, as was suggested, to vacuum the air out of the system.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 AM

I'll post what I find out after I try the hand pump an a few other ideas I've thought about this morning. Fingers crossed
Old 12-27-2013, 06:56 PM

I ended up replacing the master cylinder an bled my clutch a few times over an now I've got a clutch again. Goin to finish puttin it back together tomorrow an hope its along time until somethin else goes wrong haha

Quick Reply: clutch problem need help!!