Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Changing Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 PM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Changing Flywheel

Finally getting tired of the screeching sound on start up and going to change out my flywheel. Has anyone do this to this model of truck and got any tips?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4wolf
Finally getting tired of the screeching sound on start up and going to change out my flywheel. Has anyone do this to this model of truck and got any tips?
its probably not your FLEXPLATE, the problem lies in your starter. So, before you go dropping the exhaust, driveshaft, transfer case, and unbolting the 6 13mm bolts on the bellhousing, in addition to removing the starter.....change out the starter. Try using a motorcraft starter as aftermarket ones dont have the blade terminal, just a bolt and ring terminal with a pigtail.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 PM
F150 Manic

tried a new starter and a month later the sound was back but thank you for the tip
Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 PM
none.

tried a new starter and a month later the sound was back but thank you for the tip
if the problem went away with a new starter and then came back, I would be looking at other problems....is the starter hanging the bendix out too long and engaging the teeth to the flexplate after the engine is spinning.....Also, if you are hell bent on swapping the flexplate, at the bottom of the trans, there is an access plate, unbolt it and have someone cycle the engine by hand with a 1in ratchet. Mark your initially observed point on the flexplate/TC and look for abnormalities in the teeth.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:35 PM
F150 Manic

thats just it I don't think it went away cause sometimes I won't hear the noise for a month or two and sometimes I hear it every other day. I've taken it to ford and to a local shop in the past and both times it wouldn't make a sound and both said they couldn't find any issues
Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 PM
none.

thats just it I don't think it went away cause sometimes I won't hear the noise for a month or two and sometimes I hear it every other day. I've taken it to ford and to a local shop in the past and both times it wouldn't make a sound and both said they couldn't find any issues

short of taking stuff apart and replacing things, I wouldnt except them to find the problem.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Perhaps the point was passed over by using Motorcraft only. Any other starter or even a gypo store rebuilt Motorcraft will be using a different starter drive then a Motorcraft one. Don't know exactly why, its just Problem City if you do.

Back to the flywheel if the teeth are toast and automatic, the whole flex plate needs to be changed, if a manual trans, just buy the ring gear and install. Beat off the old gear, heat the new one and start it on the flywheel. Once it touches the flywheel it shrinks so a hammer and punch (broad tip) is required. I worked with an old sort, he would heat a two inch section red hot and simply lay it on the flywheel. I never liked to do it that way because of possible distortion. Gradual heat all around its diameter did the trick. If your wife or mother isn't home the oven works great, 400 degrees for ten minutes and the pizza is done.
The following users liked this post:
Blondie70 (08-12-2021)

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching sound

I have a 1997 Ford F-150 the truck runs great!! BUT!!! Every once and awhile Theres this God awful screeching sound when I start my truck??? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated! I am hoping it's just the starter but who knows?
Old 08-11-2021, 07:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2002 Ford F150 Lariat

Originally Posted by Beastmode27
I have a 1997 Ford F-150 the truck runs great!! BUT!!! Every once and awhile Theres this God awful screeching sound when I start my truck??? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated! I am hoping it's just the starter but who knows?

Had the same issue with a 2002 Lariat, first changed out the starter ($350) then continued to experience that LOUD screeching sound when starting on occation.. not each time.
Well, mechanic now says it is the flywheel teeth so truck with mechanic at garage and he is changing the flywheel... expect about $700 additional charge. Ouch!
Will post again when done to provide results.. but the sound when the teeth dont mesh with starter is bone chilling.
The following users liked this post:
BareBonesXL (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:24 PM
has left the building

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by 855ferry

Had the same issue with a 2002 Lariat, first changed out the starter ($350) then continued to experience that LOUD screeching sound when starting on occation.. not each time.
Well, mechanic now says it is the flywheel teeth so truck with mechanic at garage and he is changing the flywheel... expect about $700 additional charge. Ouch!
Will post again when done to provide results.. but the sound when the teeth dont mesh with starter is bone chilling.
Might as well post a new thread with your results. This thread was started 10 years ago. Of course a flywheel hasn't really changed but not too necessary to post up a 10 year old thread with what the person from 6 years ago should do.

Quick Reply: Changing Flywheel