Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Can't get my exhaust right!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can't get my exhaust right!

Hey all, 2003 super crew 5.4, I bought it stock and added a flowmaster 10. It was too quite but I left it alone since i didn't have tons of money to throw away. Well, the other day, my pipe cracked about 6 inches after the y. I loved it, plenty loud and didn't have any crap sound or popping. Well the pipe was rattling where it broke, so I had the exhaust shop take out everything after where it broke, then add enough to put it behind the cab, then dump. Now, IT'S TOO QUITE. I don't know if it's because the added length in pipe, or because he did a mandrel bend then cut it level with the ground and its a slightly smaller diameter. Im now considering cutting it off about a foot after the y with my saw. Im just worried about exhaust leaking into the cab. I'm also wondering, shouldn't it be louder with the turn down... so what should I do. And don't say cut cats, I know it would be louder and sound better, that was the original plan, but its too expensive at the moment. Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 229 Likes on 200 Posts

I just cut my flowmaster 40 off and dumped it under the cab,it's horrible on start up,quiet at idle then ok up until 3000 rpms,then it's awesome. I'm about to get a new Flowmaster 40 with turn downs,I took mine off because it was pretty messed up but it was way better sounding and louder except for when I get on it hard
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thef150guy
Hey all, 2003 super crew 5.4, I bought it stock and added a flowmaster 10. It was too quite but I left it alone since i didn't have tons of money to throw away. Well, the other day, my pipe cracked about 6 inches after the y. I loved it, plenty loud and didn't have any crap sound or popping. Well the pipe was rattling where it broke, so I had the exhaust shop take out everything after where it broke, then add enough to put it behind the cab, then dump. Now, IT'S TOO QUITE. I don't know if it's because the added length in pipe, or because he did a mandrel bend then cut it level with the ground and its a slightly smaller diameter. Im now considering cutting it off about a foot after the y with my saw. Im just worried about exhaust leaking into the cab. I'm also wondering, shouldn't it be louder with the turn down... so what should I do. And don't say cut cats, I know it would be louder and sound better, that was the original plan, but its too expensive at the moment. Thanks
Anything after the muffler will make it quieter, unless you throw some big *** mexi-can on it. My super 10 was way louder without tailpipes.

Don't slide the muffler up any closer to the y-pipe, you will uncover the infamous flowmaster drone. Better have a bottle of Ibuprofen on hand.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 PM

Now, I had a flowmaster super 10, which is the loudest one you can get, and it was still quiet, I liked it when it was broke after the y. Im just wondering if that's a bad idea because of gases getting into the cab. And I was thinking turn downs to make it louder, but it seemed to make it quieter.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 97' 4.6
Anything after the muffler will make it quieter, unless you throw some big *** mexi-can on it. My super 10 was way louder without tailpipes.

Don't slide the muffler up any closer to the y-pipe, you will uncover the infamous flowmaster drone. Better have a bottle of Ibuprofen on hand.
I actually don't mind the drone, but do you think with it a foot after the y it would be better straight thru or should I add the super 10 back in. The guy at the exhaust shop thinks the muffler will quite it up again. And its not him trying to BS me, I used to work there when I was younger.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 5,599 Likes on 4,671 Posts

Flowmaters just constipate the system which kills performance. The factory OEM's perform much better. But yea, they do have a that certain sound lol. If all you care about is having a noise maker, go all out and don't use any muffler. It'll run and make noise, - sound just like a junker should.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Flowmaters just constipate the system which kills performance. The factory OEM's perform much better. But yea, they do have a that certain sound lol. If all you care about is having a noise maker, go all out and don't use any muffler. It'll run and make noise, - sound just like a junker should.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 131 Likes on 121 Posts

I think my trucks have all sounded good and none had mufflers if you want it louder cut it closer to the cab one of my duals broke off right after the cab and I love the sound when it warms up and money permits I'm gonna cut out my x pipe and run dual turn downs
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 5,599 Likes on 4,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Krack499
I think my trucks have all sounded good and none had mufflers if you want it louder cut it closer to the cab one of my duals broke off right after the cab and I love the sound when it warms up and money permits I'm gonna cut out my x pipe and run dual turn downs
Sound is one thing, but sound AND performance is another. They definitely don't have to be loud to sound good. You can have both sound and performance with a little research and understanding.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 131 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew

Sound is one thing, but sound AND performance is another. They definitely don't have to be loud to sound good. You can have both sound and performance with a little research and understanding.
I'm aware and for now I'm going for a good sound for cheap when I get an extra thousand dollars to do my exhaust I'll do performance and sound but with all my set ups I've had I've never noticed any difference performance wise

Quick Reply: Can't get my exhaust right!