Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Cannot Find - Fuel Filter / Line retainer clip

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot Find - Fuel Filter / Line retainer clip

I cannot seem to find where to purchase the retainer clip that is in the Fuel Line connection at the outlet of the fuel filter (pic attached). It got mangled when I removed the filter to change it. Local parts stores have the larger clips but not the one I need and Ford wants it to be an in-line service item (or sell me a new fuel line for $200).

Also, when the line came off, the 2 o-rings and the 1 spacer came out. I assume these go into the line in this order: o-ring - spacer - o-ring. Is this correct.

Does any one have any ideas...truck is down until I can get the line back on. I hate to try and put the broken clip in. Even if I get it on, I will most likely be hell at the next filter change.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts

Are you sure it is broke? It could be cut like that so it will fit more tight.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Yes.. One of the 3 tabs is only attached on one side. The picture doesn't show it well because I pushed it back together to show the what the clip should look like. I could probably put it back in and get it to hold for now, but I would like to be able to get it off next time without a fight.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Apprentice Mechanic

I had the same problem last month.. Gave ford my Vin# and they sold me 2 possible sized clips.. super cheap... shouldnt need to buy the whole line..

Im not sure about those washers mine didnt come out.. sounds like a logical order tho

Oh once i got the clips tho I did need to trim the ends a bit to get them in, they must be sumwhat universal.. u will see wut i mean when u get them its pretty straight forward
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by longhungsilver
I had the same problem last month.. Gave ford my Vin# and they sold me 2 possible sized clips.. super cheap... shouldnt need to buy the whole line..

Im not sure about those washers mine didnt come out.. sounds like a logical order tho

Oh once i got the clips tho I did need to trim the ends a bit to get them in, they must be sumwhat universal.. u will see wut i mean when u get them its pretty straight forward

Did the clip look like this universal? My Ford dealer looked up the fuel line clip, showed me the picture, and told me that the part was an in service item. Wanted to show me the whole fuel line ($200) and didnt even have one in stock to look at. The picture did look like these universals thoubh. I will probably have to try to modify a universal like this to fit this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Cannot Find - Fuel Filter / Line retainer clip-8.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 PM

i just put the orings, put them in as far as you can and put zip ties on them on the saftey clip thing (the thing that helps the line stay tight. its like the first thing you take off to change the filter) then tied it to somthing close it works fine. it should definatly get you going for a while. its not the best thing to do but better than 200 dollars. just use the 2 round o-rings. or get new ones

Quick Reply: Cannot Find - Fuel Filter / Line retainer clip