Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Braking issue

Not sure where to start but it's a 2001 supercrew. I just replaced the brakes and rotors to maybe get rid of the problem. Lack of knowledge and they needed replaced anyways. But even after I replaced the brakes and rotors I'm still having trouble. So when I brake everything's fine until I get down to about 2-3 mph and then brake pedal releases slightly, my lights dim, and it's makes a grunting kind of sound. It reminds me of when you're on ice and the abs kicks in when you brake. Anyone have any ideas? Truck still stops fine it's just a little worrisome and annoying. Any help appreciated
Old 06-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 6,482 Likes on 4,618 Posts

By your description, I would guess your motor is almost dying.... and the lights are dimming because the alternator is spinning slow. Your brake pedal is probably coming up because the motor is producing less vacuum.

Do you have a tachometer to watch the rpm's when it happens? Do you have a check engine light on?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
By your description, I would guess your motor is almost dying.... and the lights are dimming because the alternator is spinning slow. Your brake pedal is probably coming up because the motor is producing less vacuum. Do you have a tachometer to watch the rpm's when it happens? Do you have a check engine light on?
there's a way to get the tachometer on the digital odometer too if he doesn't (provided he has a digital odometer and not a rolling one
Old 06-30-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
By your description, I would guess your motor is almost dying.... and the lights are dimming because the alternator is spinning slow. Your brake pedal is probably coming up because the motor is producing less vacuum.

Do you have a tachometer to watch the rpm's when it happens? Do you have a check engine light on?
Rpms don't drop or anything crazy. Normal from my past f150. And the pedal doesn't come up, it goes down more. Like it sinks to the floor and then rises back up after 3 seconds. It's pretty weird lol

Also, I've never had problems with the motor. 96,000 doesn't burn oil and I drive it long distances and it hasn't given me any grief

Last edited by cgrim321; 06-30-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Braking issue