Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

brakes feel engaged, any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes feel engaged, any suggestions

I have a 99 f150, 4.6, 2wd. 250,000 miles. I know its a lot of miles, but still runs great. I am noticing that it feels as if the brakes are engaging while running down the road, as if the truck is being held back a little. In the last year, rearend has been gone through, bearings front and back, Brake jobs front and back, shocks, etc. Nothing done to the engine or transmission. Probably been a year or two since I changed the tranny fluid. Also had a problem immediately after the rear drum brake pad change that it warped the back drums. Had them turned again, and it sort of feels that way again. Could a sticking ebrake cause some of the problems? I am pretty mechanical, but this one is stumping me a little.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it for a good run and when ya get out of the truck, feel the rims. See if one is hotter then the others. If one is it could be dragging.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

could be a collapsed brake line. i had that problem on the front end, everything looked fine but the inner lining of the rubber brake line had collapsed not allowing the brake fluid to flow back out of the caliper replaced the front lines and everything is good. also do what Myers said best way to tell which one is dragging.

Quick Reply: brakes feel engaged, any suggestions