Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Brakes

Old 03-11-2007, 09:56 PM
FTP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes

Does any one know what it feels like when you have air in your brake lines and or if yourr master cylnders goin out and also does anyone know if it would be hard or next to impossable to change my rear drums to disk brakes
Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Beowolf
Does any one know what it feels like when you have air in your brake lines and or if yourr master cylnders goin out and also does anyone know if it would be hard or next to impossable to change my rear drums to disk brakes
Air in the lines will give you a soft soft pedal feel. Changing to disc brakes is easy if you have a doner vehicle. Get the master cylinder and the rear brakes off of the doner vehicle. If the doner vehicle has a complete rearend with all the brake lines I would just swap rear ends. Assuming the size, gears and attachment parts are the same.
Check to make sure the wheel cylinders are not leaking. Very common problem with drum brakes. Make sure the rear shoes are adjusted up properly. Out of adjustment rears will give a soft pedal feel.
If you master cylinder is not leaking where you can see it it can bypass internally. Usually when that happens the brake pedal feels ok at first then sinks down.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 AM
FTP

yea I think it is air in the lines then because I have a really soft brake pedal and also I was asking bout the rear disk because I thought it would be awsome braking power if you could have 4 working disk brakes instead of 2
Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
Air in the lines will give you a soft soft pedal feel. Changing to disc brakes is easy if you have a doner vehicle. Get the master cylinder and the rear brakes off of the doner vehicle. If the doner vehicle has a complete rearend with all the brake lines I would just swap rear ends. Assuming the size, gears and attachment parts are the same.
Check to make sure the wheel cylinders are not leaking. Very common problem with drum brakes. Make sure the rear shoes are adjusted up properly. Out of adjustment rears will give a soft pedal feel.
If you master cylinder is not leaking where you can see it it can bypass internally. Usually when that happens the brake pedal feels ok at first then sinks down.

Thanks. You answered my question about also changing the master cylinder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes