Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Bed rust: cheaper to repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bed rust: cheaper to repair or replace?

I've been learning more about my F150 as I go, and have begun to research the bed rust I have forming on the underside.

Essentially, the bed is intact on the top and the bottom. There's even a nice coat of paint still on the underside. The problem, however, is the 3-4 support rails that run across the bed. Every one of those is essentially layers and layers of scaled rust.

I can pick up a "rust free" bed already painted my truck's color and have it shipped for about $1200. It's another $200 or so to have it swapped. I'm sure there will be some nicks and dings to repair plus I'd like to have this one undercoated.

The other option, if it's doable, would be to raise the bed and yank off the old support rails. I'd then like to have some heavy duty "c rail" welded back on and then, again, have the entire bottom undercoated to maximize the life of my truck.

Is the second option doable? If so, what would be a reasonable price range to expect (rural area)?

I'd like to go this route. The sides are near mint as are the wheel wells. It would be shame to chuck a decent bed because of a few trouble spots elsewhere.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Hi I am new to the forum but I am having a similar problem with my bed. In fact I just left my good friends body shop and he said I need to replace it but he called around and the cheapest he could find is a used bed not my color for 1100 and I would have to pick it up in Indiana. I would replace it at that price but that is my two cents. Also where did you find a painted bed for that price?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by jon.a.wbr
Hi I am new to the forum but I am having a similar problem with my bed. In fact I just left my good friends body shop and he said I need to replace it but he called around and the cheapest he could find is a used bed not my color for 1100 and I would have to pick it up in Indiana. I would replace it at that price but that is my two cents. Also where did you find a painted bed for that price?

I called about a dozen places today so I can't remember which one. Most were about about the same price, though.

Just do a Google search for "rust free truck bed" or something similar.

You might not even have to go too far, either. I found one in a yard about two hours away but wasn't the right color.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Oh ok thanks I just wondered if you found someplace online that had good deals the only place I found is http://www.subwaytruckparts.com/part...-off-beds.html I haven't had the chance to call for prices because I would have to pay shipping form CA to MI
Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the bed bottom itself is not rusting you could go with the second option, bit if the bottom is rusting just replace it.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 AM
army trucker

try looking at http://www.lmctruck.com/ thats where ive been getting some body parts im sure they've got your year and they'll send you a free magazine

Quick Reply: Bed rust: cheaper to repair or replace?