Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

battery dies suspect gem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery dies suspect gem?

So last week truck ran great parked it over the weekend. Got in it on Monday truck was dead, wouldn't crank or anything. Thought I had left the door open a little and the battery died. Hooked a battery to it and jumped it cranked right over no waiting. Got to work sprayed a whole can of terminal cleaner on that thing and hooked it to a charger. Pulled it off and lunch and ran it. Worked for a week then it did it again. Thought that the clamp might be the problem (they spared no expense on good clamps on that truck). Couldn't get em off and the last thing I wanted was to break the darn thing and be stranded at that point in time. Got to where i was headed got out 45 minutes later got back in and heard a relay clicking. Pulled it apart battery saver relay was clicking. Thought that the relay was just working over time due to the low battery. I pulled the relay out and tested where power was on the connector. Power at what would be 30, 86 and 87a (87a I'm guessing had 6v because it didn't really light up the tester and I didn't want to dig my dmm out.) I'm guessing that because I have power in three places the gem is shorted out. Any one have any input on this. I did a little research on it. I found the part on fords website. Have heard aftermarkets are made but can't find em and do I really need to take it to the dealer so they cam charge me $300 for 20 minutes of work?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

take it to the dealer for what? Yo ck the battery?
Discount Auto etc will do it for free

Quick Reply: battery dies suspect gem?