Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Bad O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:27 PM
GO SOX!

Received 92 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Bad O2 Sensor

I probably should not have waited this long, but I need to replace my o2 sensors. I only know the code is telling me it's the sensor but I don't know which of them it is. I'm just going to replace them and be done with it. The symptoms are there, rough idle and worse gas mileage. Anyone replace these themselves? With our older trucks am I going to bloody my knuckles trying to get these out?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandingo32
I probably should not have waited this long, but I need to replace my o2 sensors. I only know the code is telling me it's the sensor but I don't know which of them it is. I'm just going to replace them and be done with it. The symptoms are there, rough idle and worse gas mileage. Anyone replace these themselves? With our older trucks am I going to bloody my knuckles trying to get these out?
Shouldn't get too bloody, a lot more room to work than in a car. But if you can pull codes they should give a code specific to a bank, and possibly before or after the cat. Not sure how the emissions systems work on these trucks but usually they're pretty easy to find and pull. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Front 02's are the heated circuit. Bank 2 is driver side, bank 1 is passenger side. Most readers will tell you this. If yours don't I would have it scanned with a reader that will give you these specifics. And FWIW, an 02 code is rarely from a faulty sensor. The problem usually is something else causing the 02 to not read properly, a clogged cat or a prolonged misfire are a couple causes.
The following users liked this post:
mandingo32 (01-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

Originally Posted by screamineagle
Front 02's are the heated circuit. Bank 2 is driver side, bank 1 is passenger side. Most readers will tell you this. If yours don't I would have it scanned with a reader that will give you these specifics. And FWIW, an 02 code is rarely from a faulty sensor. The problem usually is something else causing the 02 to not read properly, a clogged cat or a prolonged misfire are a couple causes.
Right.

OP, - so do you want to know what's wrong with it first or are in the mood to throw parts at it ?

First thing you need to is get the DTC's. Just so your aware, a bad O2 sensor will not cause a drivaibility concern.
mandingo32 (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't change the O2's. I changed mine and the check engine lights is still on, still has rough idle every once in a while, and still get 7-8 mpg.

I'm guessing mine has a vacuum leak from what other members have said. Do you know if the code was rich or lean? If lean, check for vacuum leaks.
mandingo32 (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM
GO SOX!

Received 92 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Right.

OP, - so do you want to know what's wrong with it first or are in the mood to throw parts at it ?

First thing you need to is get the DTC's. Just so your aware, a bad O2 sensor will not cause a drivaibility concern.

And it didn't in my 03. I was in Pepboys picking something up and had them check the code since my engine light was on. They said it was the O2 sensor, they replaced it and there was never any issue.

Originally Posted by brandonlear
Don't change the O2's. I changed mine and the check engine lights is still on, still has rough idle every once in a while, and still get 7-8 mpg.

I'm guessing mine has a vacuum leak from what other members have said. Do you know if the code was rich or lean? If lean, check for vacuum leaks.

I don't know because they couldn't/wouldn't tell me. When I get my taxes back I'm going to bring it to a guy around the corner from me. He's an honest guy. My A/C crapped out a few months ago. The shop I use to take it if I couldn't do the work my self wanted $900. They said the entire system had to be replace. The guy I go to now, found a chaffed wire which was causing a short. $150 for his labor is all he charged me. Didn't need a new system.

Quick Reply: Bad O2 Sensor