Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Bad front axle shaft? Maybe a wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad front axle shaft? Maybe a wheel bearing?

01 SCrew 5.4L with more than 250k miles - old truck. Only owned it for about a year.

A few days ago I noticed some faint squeeling that sounded like a u-joint was going bad. I just replaced the rear d/s u-joints a few months ago so they are fine.

Last night I got the anti-lock brake feeling/noise at low speeds when braking on clean, dry, flat pavement several times. Then this morning I got the same anti-lock brake stuff with a "whirring" noise that comes and goes from the front end at any speed.

Last fall I did a front brake job with good stuff, so I doubt it's a brakes problem. A month or so ago I did pitman arm, idler arm and a tie rod end.

Later today I'll jack her up and look at bearings, etc. and see if anything feels weird, but I thought I throw this out there to see if anyone has had similar symptoms before I dive in.

Never had this combo before - the anti-lock brake stuff is throwing me off.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 AM

I got the front end off the ground and the passenger side cv shaft sounded like crap - grinding pretty bad. Both boots look fine, which is odd. I've always had trashed boots when a cv shaft went bad.

I'm assuming that the shaft is binding up a bit and throwing off the ABS, making it activate. That make any sense? Pads and rotor look great.

Anyway, a new shaft is going in tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Torsion keys cranked at all by chance? PO had my truck eating CV axles when the front torsion bars were cranked too high.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 777 Likes on 613 Posts

Hub/bearing assemblies can also roar and grind. That was my trucks problem anyway.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by JCR 56
Hub/bearing assemblies can also roar and grind. That was my trucks problem anyway.
Yep, that was it.