Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Anyone install Cal-Van spark plug thread insert. Pic request, or verification.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 10:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone install Cal-Van spark plug thread insert. Pic request, or verification.

I have my head off doing a wrist pin change. That's another thread. Don't know if this caused it or not but the guy I got this truck from did a thread repair on 1 plug hole. Now that I have the head off I can see he either did the install wrong, or the insert is backing out.

The spark plug needs to go another 5/16'' deeper into the hole. I can see where the insert is not threaded in all the way. I THINK. There is a chunk broke out of the bottom of the spark plug hole which I'm guessing my friend did when he did the insert.

I don't see any type of jb weld, or thread sealer which makes me think it might be backing out. I tried putting a spark plug in from the wrong side and screw it through. But I got scared and stopped. I wonder if I could use a proper size bolt from the wrong side and try to un-install the insert. Might get lucky if it doesn't have sealer.

So I can't find a pic of how deep the Cal-Van insert goes in. But I found another companies pic. It goes to the bottom of the spark plug hole, which I would assume so would the Cal-Van.

Anybody know for sure.

This is how deep the other plugs are.

And this is the one with the insert. The plug is flush with the bottom of the hole.

Do you guys think this would effect performance and needs fixed. Or leave it as is.

Last edited by Quick Cal; 10-24-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:50 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

check this out

The following 2 users liked this post by akdoggie:
Rebel Patriot (11-02-2019), white89gt (10-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Anyone install Cal-Van spark plug thread insert. Pic request, or verification.