Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Any Luck With Touch-Up Paints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Luck With Touch-Up Paints?

I have a small chipped/bubbled spot on my painted front bumper as well as a couple small ones on my painted rear bumper. Don't have the money or really care enough to get both refinished and repainted professionally but wanted to stop it before it spreads anymore. It looks like its just surface rust and the paint it starting to bubble below it

Can I just sand it down or use a rough wire wheel on the small spots to get it to bare metal and then maybe apply one of those touch up paint pen things just stop it from getting worse?

Its metallic paint (dark blue) so I cant imagine that a paint pen type application would look great or anything but I dont really wana take it off and sand it down and spray it with a paint match rattle can either. Honestly just looking to hick-rig it so I dont always notice it and it doesnt get worse

Any experience or advice appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 6,568 Likes on 4,683 Posts

I haven't had any luck with those pens. Your best bet is to find an auto body and paint supply store and get some paint made. You can get it in a can, pen style, or even in a spray can. There's a guy at the place I go to that can match by eye. The previous owner of my truck did a custom color on the bottom of the truck, and this dude said "just park it in the sun, and I can match it".
Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 PM

Only the outer inch of this door was painted. It's dead nuts on for the match.

This is how I bought mine. But they sell it as a pen or in a can as well. These run 14 dollars a can. Which is damn awesome to me.
The following users liked this post:
cherrytrees (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 186 Likes on 180 Posts

I love the pens because I hate masking lol. It doesn't give you the nicest finish, but my truck isn't show room quality. Here is my handy work, the fender has always been touching the door, so I tried for about 6 hours taking it off, bending the braket and moving it, but nothing helped. I just loosened the top 4 bolts, tuck a pry bar in between the door and fender, slammed the door shut, and tightened the bolts. I got my fender where I want it, but of course I chipped the paint lol. I didn't make the dent, it's always been like that but here's a before and after. Painting in the rain for extra texture.

The pens work great (in my opinion) for small jobs like this, however if you have a nice chunk out, they don't work really at all. They put paint on, but it will never be flat, and if you try and move the paint around you get little streaks and it looks horrible.
cherrytrees (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 11:37 PM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by cherrytrees
I have a small chipped/bubbled spot on my painted front bumper as well as a couple small ones on my painted rear bumper. Don't have the money or really care enough to get both refinished and repainted professionally but wanted to stop it before it spreads anymore. It looks like its just surface rust and the paint it starting to bubble below it Can I just sand it down or use a rough wire wheel on the small spots to get it to bare metal and then maybe apply one of those touch up paint pen things just stop it from getting worse? Its metallic paint (dark blue) so I cant imagine that a paint pen type application would look great or anything but I dont really wana take it off and sand it down and spray it with a paint match rattle can either. Honestly just looking to hick-rig it so I dont always notice it and it doesnt get worse Any experience or advice appreciated, thanks.
Not sure how big you chips are but please don't take a wire wheel to it. Sanding is fine but tape everything off that is good.

Dr Color Chip is a decent product. It's not miracle potion but if you say you want to hack-rig it go for this kit.
cherrytrees (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 5,658 Likes on 4,715 Posts

If it's a chip you use 3M glazing spot putty to level, then a touch up like perfect match. I think that's made by duplicolor. Make sure you use paint prep right before. It's like a adhesion promoter. That way it won't wax off.

It's the cheap way that will last a few years. If there's rust below, you need one of those cheep little spot blasters. It's what they are for, also used on welds just before epoxy or etching. That's also cheap. The trick is knowing this lol.

Yiou can find your color match/paint code just about anywhere. Hell the supermarket carries Oxford White for my truck. But IF you want the real good in aerosol, - Sherwin Williams or any good auto body paint supplier can can it for you now a days.

Mask everything well around it, you can rub in a sharp edge to where you'll never be able to find the repair after complete. Just use the stuff I mentioned
cherrytrees (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 AM

I bought the Oxford White Duplicolor pen for my Mustang and it was too bright. It stuck out like a sore thumb so I removed it. Same deal on my Escape. Way brighter than the original, plus the flakes are a different size. I though "well ****, I must have got the wrong ****" so I looked it up and I was right with what I bought. I left that though just to prevent it from getting worse. It's about the size of a dime.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:59 AM

Received 5,658 Likes on 4,715 Posts

4 tear drops oxford white, wet your brush with a little jet black...mix.

Yea, in that case you would have to go custom since there's not much room for error. With touch-up unfortunately, it has to be close since you can't really work it. I've had good luck with that color in the past.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:14 AM

That one rock chip happened on the first time on the freeway after paint too. Even though I was traveling at 70 mph, I saw the rock headed for my car in slow motion. I even let the car sit over winter in my Buddy's heated shop just to try and let it cure a bit more. I wish it would have hit the windshield instead, lol. Windshields for that car are cheap.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
Only the outer inch of this door was painted. It's dead nuts on for the match.

This is how I bought mine. But they sell it as a pen or in a can as well. These run 14 dollars a can. Which is damn awesome to me.
man thats a really good match, nice job

how did you 'fade' the new area into the old?

what kind of 'prep' work did you do first? do you clear coat over it after?

ive never painted anything beyond drywall or rattle canning old dirtbike parts

part of me wants to make a project of it, remove the whole bumper and sand down the couple rust spots real good, then sand the whole thing and paint it with a spraycan. im just dreading removing my bumper and fascia to do it. the first hour or so of this kind of project is always fun, then i wish i didnt get into it sort of thing

Quick Reply: Any Luck With Touch-Up Paints?