Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Advice on This Truck Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advice on This Truck Please

I don't know anything about these trucks so any advice or info on it would be Great! I would like to hear the pro's * con's with this truck. I need a GOOD pre-owned truck that will last me at least 8 years from now with out any major problems. Here is the ad where I found it at.

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/cto/1377985532.html

I was looking at a 2003 FX4 Super Crew a few weeks ago that had 110K miles for $8000 but it sold already. You guys said it was a good truck so now I need to know if there are any differences between this 2001 Lariet & the 2003 FX4.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Anyone?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Dirty South's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rancho shocks and the fx4 rims is the only difference that i know of on them looks like a good buy to me
Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM

Love it i have an 01 with 118,000 and still kickin but. but the six disc changer is a b**** to get to. might wanna replace that.

edit: but you might wanna check into the spark plug problem with these year trucks. i spent 1800 dollars fixing it, problem is that the plugs are to tightly screwed in so the thread breaks off in the engine head.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Black
Love it i have an 01 with 118,000 and still kickin but. but the six disc changer is a b**** to get to. might wanna replace that.

edit: but you might wanna check into the spark plug problem with these year trucks. i spent 1800 dollars fixing it, problem is that the plugs are to tightly screwed in so the thread breaks off in the engine head.
This generation motor does not have the two-piece plugs. Loose plugs that blow out is this generations concern!

Not sure which other model truck you're comparing to this Lariat but FX4 was a minor option package that could be added to other major trim levels, ie. XL, XLT, Lariat. It included specific 17" alloy wheels w/265/70R-17 tires, skid plates, Rancho Shocks (overated, imo) and limited-slip rear end.
The Lariat is usually a very well-equipped truck. Most came with Leather seats, auto-diming rear view mirror, turn-signals in the side-view mirrors, auto-headlamps, speed sensitive intermittent wipers and radio volume and many other convenience features.
The truck you linked looks really clean in the pics but you will still have to check it out very carefully as it is a used vehicle. All other things the same, I'd rather have a Lariat without FX4 than an XLT w/FX4 package.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Senior Member: Will

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

for that price ... GET IT. My 2005 has more than 100,000 but I payed double that for mine. Lariats are the premier for ford trucks, who doesnt like leather?
Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tupperware
This generation motor does not have the two-piece plugs. Loose plugs that blow out is this generations concern!

Not sure which other model truck you're comparing to this Lariat but FX4 was a minor option package that could be added to other major trim levels, ie. XL, XLT, Lariat. It included specific 17" alloy wheels w/265/70R-17 tires, skid plates, Rancho Shocks (overated, imo) and limited-slip rear end.
The Lariat is usually a very well-equipped truck. Most came with Leather seats, auto-diming rear view mirror, turn-signals in the side-view mirrors, auto-headlamps, speed sensitive intermittent wipers and radio volume and many other convenience features.
The truck you linked looks really clean in the pics but you will still have to check it out very carefully as it is a used vehicle. All other things the same, I'd rather have a Lariat without FX4 than an XLT w/FX4 package.
Are you sure? I have a 2001 F-150 Lariat Screw...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:08 PM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Black

x2 on that 6-disk, thats why I use my cassette player w/ the cord and hoko up my ipod. and thats awesome all highway miles, mine has 98k but has also been off roading A LOT. this looks good.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 01f1502wd
x2 on that 6-disk, thats why I use my cassette player w/ the cord and hoko up my ipod. and thats awesome all highway miles, mine has 98k but has also been off roading A LOT. this looks good.
No dude i take my truck off road haha

my baby

Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM

There is no guarantee that ANY truck will last you "at least 8 years." New or used, no guarantees.

That 01 that you linked looks pretty good, but there's no info.
How many owners, Clean/salvage title, Accidents, history, etc.

The major thing YOU want is history of maintenance. A brand new truck will not last as long as a 10 year old truck, if the new truck hasn't been maintained.

The FX4 (Or off road package, depending on year) comes with the 17" rims, LS, and skid plates for the front, diff, and gas tank. If you don't like leather, do not settle for it. If you don't mind the upkeep...well. There you go.

Overall, it doesn't seem like a bad price, but all things considered.

Quick Reply: Advice on This Truck Please