Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

99 F150 V6 start / fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 F150 V6 start / fuel problem

My truck has an intermittent starting problem. Cranks over fine but sometimes it won't start. It is Intermittent in that it can go for days even months with no problem (typically during warmer months) but at other times especially when the weather turns cold, it becomes a real nuisance.

A shot of starter fluid will always bring it to life but then it dies. The engine runs strong and smooth, it never stops while driving but this issue always presents only as a starting issue. When I turn the key to run (not to start/ crank) if I'm lucky enough to hear the fuel pump, it will start, otherwise it won't. Often (not always) I can move the key from off to run and back several times (without need of cranking) until, I hear the fuel pump. Then I simply move the key to crank and it starts and runs like nothing was ever wrong.

I have a meter and can read the Chilton schematics but the manual is a bit vague at explaining the fuel delivery systems' operation. It also lacks clear pictures of the different component locations.

Any place to start, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JohnInBoise; 11-29-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

Yep fuel pump is going out. I replaced mine last summer for the same symptom.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

X2^
Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 PM

This is a thread on my fuel pump. It may help you, I don't know.
https://www.f150forum.com/f6/another...-4-2-a-351322/
Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I'm thinking fuel pump too. They're kinda pricey and worse pulling the fuel tank, looks like a big project. Not afraid of this I just don't like being wrong. Especially after reading so many obvious fuel pump failures that were from less likely sources like "it ended up being corroded connections under the outside fuse/relay box ..." If I might eliminate (diminish) the likely hood of problems upstream of the fuel pump, I could then confidently replace the pump.

Please check my thinking here. If a semi-permanent lead was connected close to the fuel pump and then strung to a voltage meter on the seat in the cab, it would make capturing fuel pump source voltage readings possible during every startup attempt. Used as a monitor then, whenever I move the ignition key from off to the on, I might have readings to compare between both non failure and failure mode. If good voltage readings are observed but no fuel and a failed start, then the it further points to the fuel pump but If instead I get strange voltage readings during a failed start, then the problem is more likely upstream of the pump.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Like your thinking. Lets not forget about a simple fuel filter replacement.

FYI. You might consider sliding back the truck bed to gain access to the pump for replacement or simply gaining access to the wiring for your voltmeter.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:29 PM

i have the same problem about a year ago, and replaced both fuel pump/filter. and it fix the problem.
best way is by removing the Bed. all work done in less than 90 minutes with the correct tools.
bough everything online for under $90.