Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

99 5.4L Intermittant No Crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 5.4L Intermittant No Crank

Symptoms: When I turn the key to run, dash lights up normally, dash indicator lights go through normal checks, radio will not come on. When i turn the key to the start postion, nothing happens. No clicks, no crank.
If I turn the key to the ACC position. No nothing. No radio.

Biggest problem is that it is an intermittant problem that I haven't been able to replicate in my driveway, only when I'm out and up to my *** in snow.

When it does start normally with the key, all functions, (ACC postion, radio, starting, etc.) are normal.

My first thought was the Neutral safety switch on the trans. I changed that, calibrated the position and it started right up. Figured I had it fixed. Two errands later, same problem. Left it in the parking lot, came back two hours later, after doing some reading on the message boards, ready to try jumping the solinoid on the firewall. Started right up normally.

Replaced the starter control solinoid, seemed to start perfectly every time, until this morning at the gas station. Exact same symptoms.

Armed with my new found knowledge of the system I took a big screwdriver and jumped across the posts on the firewall starter control solinoid and it started right up.

given that it starts right up when I jump the starter solinoid, I'm reasonably sure its not battery or starter. Also, since the radio doesnt come on in either position when the truck is acting up, I'm thinking it has to be steering column, starter switch related.

I haven't yet put a test light on the switch wire on the starter solinoid to confirm whether there is or isn't a voltage coming to the switch wire, because like I said, in the driveway, it always works.

Is there a switch/relay on the column or under the dash apart from the actual key cylinder? Am I looking at new keys programmed to match with a new key switch or is it an additional switch unit somewhere between the key and the starter solinoid on the firewall?

sorry for the long post, but figured it was better to give all the information rather than field all the "check the battery and cable" responses.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ignition switch replacement sounds like also may need to reset security system just a thought

Quick Reply: 99 5.4L Intermittant No Crank